Featured Peace and Plenty Pressed Glass Pitcher

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tom Mackay, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Tom Mackay

Tom Mackay Well-Known Member

Or jug? Anyway - saw this, was intrigued, though I might learn something interesting.
    I found a wee number inside (!) so that and the words of course helped a lot.
    I think I got the colour represented fairly well. Seems this is Greener & Co.
    20190325_175447.jpg 20190325_175528.jpg 20190325_175544.jpg 20190325_175719.jpg 20190325_175950.jpg 20190325_175858.jpg 20190325_180115.jpg I saw in an archived discussion that it is in Jenny Thompson's book "The Identification of English Pressed Glass" on page 68, plate 35, dated 14 Dec., 1888.
    Mine has the correct registration # (115743) to correspond to that mentioned.
    My question is do you think it was made this colour or did it turn this colour ?
    I only found a couple and they looked clear.
    Thank you in advance.

Lucille.b, judy, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    It looks sun purpled which is considered damaged. Around 1916 the glass companies started using Manganese to make the glass mixture more clear. The sun turned the glass a slight lilac shade. About 40 years ago people started to use ultraviolet light to turn the glass purple. If they did it long enough it turned it dark purple almost black. I do not consider it damage but I like the light purple shade.
    greg

3. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I also like the light purple colour .. nice pitcher Tom !!! ... Joy. :)

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If it's caused by exposure to sun, I'd call the color ultraviolet. :)

5. Tom Mackay

It was the colour that first caught my eye. I thought it was some hokey fad thing from maybe the '50s at first, but then I thought mmmmm...maybe not...
    I like it. And - it was interesting to read about the Anti-Corn Law League whose motto allegedly was "Peace and Plenty".

6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Is the color even throughout?

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Tom Mackay

Now the sun has set it seems even in incandescent light. It looked more intensely coloured in areas with the sunlight hitting it. But when I moved it the intensity would vary or move. In photos #4 and #5 the sunlight is to the left. It made me curious as I thought if it was intended to be amethyst-like then it would have been more deeply coloured when it was made.

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Greg, I think you have the date wrong.
    Manganese was put in glass during the 1800s. It was around WWI that they started to use lime instead of manganese.
    Believe Manganese was a detriment to the workers health. Will have to check on that.

9. Tom Mackay

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced it's sun purpled. I've seen an awful lot of old British pressed glass - clear - and none that's been sun changed. That looks ligt amethyst.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  11. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Lime has been used in glass forever, not as a de colorant but a filler. Manganse has been in use since probably the middle 1800s. Other chemicals have been used also, mostly since WWI. Direct sunlight changes the valence of manganese in glass to exhibit a purple shade.
    I've always thought the pale yellow/green glow was from calcium, Calcite (mineral) reacts the same way.

Draft saved Draft deleted