Featured Pearls bought in JAPAN 1960's

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Karen A Givani, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Hi, hoping to find out if these pearls, my father bought on business trips in 1960's for mother , are of value anymore. Other than to me, and beautiful to wear, my parents were married in 1954, and Dad adored mother, from Denmark. Once we lost Dad (94 years) in June 2022 , Mother , 93 who was perfectly fine, said she was tired, and kept sleeping, then 2 months later died. They were a fairy tail, along with my life, so blessed.

Attached Files:

IvaPan, KSW, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Karen, I've taken the liberty of reposting your photographs as Full Image, instead of Thumbnail, so they're easier for everyone to see. You'll want to remember to do that in the future. (And not to worry. All new members do the exact same thing in their first posts.)

Debora

20230205_114041.jpg 20230205_113714.jpg 20230205_113109 (1).jpg 20230205_124211.jpg

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @Karen A Givani and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!! SO SORRY for your losses.... sounds like they were a special, blessed couple! With the pearls knotted so nicely, is a good indication they are also special....if you haven't had them checked, I definitely would, by a trusted jeweler! Others should be along with more help!

Born2it, silverbell, KSW and 2 others like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Is that your parents and you're one of the children?? Beautiful image! What are the red spots on the dress and the child's sock if I may ask?

KSW and IvaPan like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From a non-expert, this looks like a very fine set. Did your mom wear them much? They look pristine, so better value than if scratched, etc.

Do you know the 'tooth test'? It's the most rudimentary way of testing pearls, but will tell you if they are genuine pearls or high end faux. Pearls feel smooth to the fingertip, but, rather surprisingly, have a gritty feel when rubbed on the teeth. It's a first step to knowing what you have.

Any Jewelry, KSW, IvaPan and 4 others like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

In some countries, bride's maids are little children by tradition. The gent is in full dress uniform, the ones you have to shell out $$$$ for instead of the Miltary buying them, and the lady is in a 50s wedding gown. Unless they were a very progressive couple odds are the girls aren't theirs. Possibly bride's nieces?

The spots look like ink.

BoudiccaJones, KSW, IvaPan and 5 others like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It was the norm here for bridesmaids to be children and young girls.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a great looking couple and what a love story .

Born2it, KSW, IvaPan and 2 others like this.
  9. I want to say, THANK you , so, what a kind and caring group you are on this website forum, so helpful knowledgable and informative,, and just wonderful!
    I have never joined a web forum before, really, of any kind, and sure glad i did with you folks!

10. re-posting my thanks as i think i put it in the wrong spot,,

I want to say, THANK you , so, what a kind and caring group you are on this website forum, so helpful knowledgable and informative,, and just wonderful!
    I have never joined a web forum before, really, of any kind, and sure glad i did with you folks!

11. That picture is old taken of another , and spilled on. My parents met at Fort Ord Carmel Ca, mom on a 2 yr, visa from Denmark met my father, West point lutenant
    and 1954 went to small town Fredericia, Denmark where the whole town joined in the wedding of little girl from Fredericia to marry Army Lutenant. The girls are flower girls and her oldest brothers daughters. I was not born yet, so sweet though
    to think.
    I have so many boxes of jewelry to go through, danish figurines, plates etc. i have a feeling i will be posting and asking a lot more questions on this so helpful site/forum . Everyone is so wonderful!

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Here too. It could be European thing?

Aquitaine, Bronwen and IvaPan like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think so. You can't be a bridesmaid if you're married, too, in theory, you have to be a matron of honour. The thing was to have page boys as well.

14. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

And also here. It was a big deal for us, little girls, to be chosen as bridesmaids, and a lot of disappointment if not. Usually they were nieces or cousins of the bride or the groom, and with a lot of young siblings around it was not easy to be among the chosen :). Also boys were sometimes chosen. The process of choosing involved subtle negotiations within both families and need of compromises, sometimes leading to offence and long lasting grudge among family members. The chosen bridesmaids would be dressed in gowns similar to the bride's and adorned with small white flower bouquet brooch with a puffy feather (which I longed for!). No bouquet was thrown and chased as the bridesmaids were all underaged, sometimes as little as 4-5 years old. Now it is more like in USA.

Back to the topic - the pearls are adorable!

15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

What beautiful pearls! They look real to me from just a few photos. If you want a value on them, you need to ask a jeweler for an appraisal. Pearls are valued based on a number of different things I'm not altogether familiar with, just like gems

Do you see any markings on the metal? It looks like white gold and may have a gold mark. Sometimes the maker of the pearls is tagged near the clasp. That could help you as well.

16. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Wonderful story. I am assuming that is the original box and I see what looks like the company name . Maybe you could research that. The pearls have all the classic signs of good quality. Although I doubt you want to sell them, an approximate value would help for insurance purposes.

Born2it, Bronwen, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  17. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Really good pearls can run thousands of dollars. I hate thinking about doing this but the earrings might be made into pierced ones by a clever jeweler if you have pierced ears.

Bronwen and IvaPan like this.
  18. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I see "SILVER" on the back of the necklace clasp, is there a maker's mark?

19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Sharp eyes, Marie!

Aquitaine and IvaPan like this.
  20. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

The 2nd box in the picture says Mikimoto on the lid (the set with the earrings). Mikimoto are high end pearls, one of the most recognizable names in vintage pearls. You might have something very good there. Check the screw head of earrings (the flat top portion) and around the flat sides of the piece holding it to the pearls. Also check the little pad that is attached to the bottom of the screw (the part that presses against your ear from the back)(. Marks are often in one or both of these spots on screw back earrings.

Draft saved Draft deleted