Pedal Car Enthusiast Here to Discover and Share

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Neal Andres, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Neal Andres

Neal Andres Well-Known Member

Would love to see the pic. Cars from the 20s came with rumble seats and some are actually tandem cars with front and back seats.

kyratango, TraceyB and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Neal Andres

May I ask, what is the best way for me to share my collection and information here? Gallery, a thread, and if a thread under what category. I notice that there is not Toys section. Any guidance would be appreciated.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A thread in Antique Discussion will be best. If you don't want it to be all over the internet, General Discussion is fine too. That is accessible to members only.

4. Neal Andres

I don't wish to appear to be the village idiot but frankly I am somewhat new to forums. I've looked at a few of the Antique Discussion threads and most seem to be very "one item" oriented. Would your experience here suggest that I should create a thread for "Pedal Cars" in general or should I create a few threads specific to different eras or manufacturers? Just looking for a little guidance. I have catalog pages, brochures and advertisements that I can share as well.

5. Any Jewelry

I would say a thread for Pedal Cars in general. You can keep adding to it whenever you wish.
    We are used to threads that keep going for a while. There is an ongoing Cameo thread, and a Bali Art Deco thread that people occasionally contribute to.

6. Neal Andres

Ok, I've done it. I will do my best to moderate it and continue to upload content to it. Thanks for your guidance.

kyratango, Figtree3, TraceyB and 2 others like this.
  7. Neal Andres

Thank you. I've created a Pedal Car thread and will be sharing more photos of cars and some historical information as well.

ulilwitch and TraceyB like this.
  8. Neal Andres

I've created a pedal car thread and will continue to share photos of cars in my collection and some history about them and other cars as well.

TraceyB likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

10. Neal Andres

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Welcome; sweet cars!
    (A single thread is perfect to display collections, or encourage others to share their photos or collections; but if asking for opinions or ID of items, it is best to do one per thread, or to number the photos, so people can respond without confusion.)
    You are doing great!
    When I was a kid I had a pedal car, with a little "dump truck" sort of back end, but have no idea what brand.

Neal Andres and Figtree3 like this.
  12. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome Neal!:)
    Kudos for creating your very interesting and documented PEDAL CARS THREAD!:woot:

13. Neal Andres

kyratango, all_fakes and BU66 like this.
  14. BU66

BU66 Active Member

I know most don't mention $$$ when talking collectables even coins ect. but what is a general value to these cars? I remember one I had in the 60s it was like a red sedan?
    Boy that was long ago.
    Forgot about it till now. It's all your fault. lol
    Thanks

Neal Andres likes this.
  15. Neal Andres

Value is such an ambiguous word. I assume that you mean commercial value though. Even with narrowing of the scope I could write an essay on the topic. The pedal car sector is US or International, original condition or restored, 1910 - 1970, plain or loaded & elaborate. Somewhere within those metrics the cars range from $200 - $75,000. I personally think that there are less than 40 known US pedal cars that are worth over $25,000 and probably only half of those could reach that price at auction today. Then I would guess that there are another 100 worth $10,000+. There is a lot of activity in the hobby with seasoned collectors paying in the $1000 to $5000 range and even more at a lower level.

Alot of people in the hobby are quantity collectors. They will by a car at a garage sale for $75 dollars that's absolute crap but they can say they got another one and they are happy so God bless them.

I would like to make a suggestion, dig up an old photo of yourself in your pedal car. Then find that make and model car in as minty condition that you can. (post the pic here and I will tell you what it is) Be patient. You'll only pay $500-$1000 for a 60s car even if it's in MINTY MINT condition. Buy the car, put it in your garage or home, and discover the value.

BU66 and all_fakes like this.
  16. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

What a great idea - I'm sure there are some old family photos of me in my old pedal car; just have to find them!

Neal Andres likes this.
  17. Neal Andres

Do it @all_fakes and post a photo here and I will tell you what you used to terrorize your neighbor hood in. The dump trucks were popular all they way back to the 1920 and right up until the end of the pedal car era. Regardless of which decade they are from, they are all pretty cool and functional.

18. BU66

BU66 Active Member

A better answer than I expected. Thanks
    As far as I know there's no known photo of the pedal car.
    Many family pics are history now and both parents have passed.

19. BU66

BU66 Active Member

20. Neal Andres

Would it be too rude to inquire what year might have been your pedal car years? The first image is a Murray Flat Face. That car had a life beginning in the late 50s and lasting into the mid 60s. Also do you happen to recall what color it was? Was it a fire truck, a dump truck, a station wagon?

Draft saved Draft deleted