Pendleton BEAVER STATE Blanket. How old?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by vitry-le-francois, Apr 13, 2016.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I've found good resources for Pendleton shirts and blankets but I can't find anything to determine the age of Beaver State blankets. Any help would be appreciated!

pendleton1.jpg beaver1.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

http://thewoolenmillstore.blogspot.com/2010/08/faq-legendary-heritage-beaver-state.html

"The Beaver State label refers to the long relationship between Native Americans and Pendleton Woolen Mills. Tribes living near the mill in Pendleton, Oregon purchased robes and shawls... a relationship that has lasted for over 100 years. This label is reserved for Pendleton's Native-inspired robes, shawls, and saddle blankets."

Does the above link help at all??? ;)

Maybe you could e-mail a photo of your item to them????

KingofThings likes this.
  3. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I believe that's called a postage stamp label and has a wide date range of 1930-1972.

komokwa likes this.
  4. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I sent Pendleton an email and to my surprise they responded within 24 hours! Unfortunately, they never kept records of the changes they made to their labels. Thanks to those that posted a reply. Both useful info :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Well, I (for one?) am quite surprised (and dare I say disappointed) hearing that they (Pendleton) never kept change/date records of their various labels. Phooey, I say, phooey!!!!

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Ya, I'm going to agree with you on that !
    You'd expect the buggers to know their own history !

tyeldom3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I believe if the label states "Pendleton, Oregon" as opposed to "Portland, Oregon" it is an older blanket?

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Why would any say "Portland?"

9. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It sounds like Pendleton has hired someone new to handle their email responses. Of course they have records of their labels! Their designs and production lines are carefully and thoroughly documented. Maybe the person just didn't want to take the time to help. Not an excuse, though, and such actions generally are not tolerated by a reputable company like Pendleton.

In any event, Barry Friedman's book, Chasing Rainbows: Collecting American Indian Trade & Camp Blankets is the definitive reference, and will answer most questions one may have on the topic. Here is also his web page that has examples of the labels and dates: http://barryfriedmanblankets.com/wool-trade-blankets/

Tyeldom3 is right, this label was used from 1930-1972, and is the one that causes the most problems, since dating can't always be precise.

10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The corporate headquarters are in Portland. Pendleton Woolen Mills are located in Pendleton and Washougal, Washington. All the Indian style blankets are made in Pendleton. Other lines, such as clothing, home goods, and upholstery are made in the Washougal mill.

The clothing usually carries a different label than the blankets, but it is not uncommon for clothing labels to show up on blankets, sometimes the result of some creative sewing skills on the part of sellers, who hope the buyer will just see the "Pendleton" part and not be familiar with the difference. I've even seen them on cotton camp blankets, which were never made by Pendleton.

11. Bakersgma

Thanks, Taupou. I've been through Pendleton (twice), but of course, "corporate" being in Portland does make sense - although that would have been a heck a ride before the interstate went through.

12. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Pendleton Woolen Mills has always had a presence in Oregon's Willamette Valley, which actually started with Thomas Kay's woolen mill in Salem in 1889.

His daughter inherited the business, married C.P. Bishop, a successful retail merchant, and their three sons were responsible for expanding the manufacturing to a mill in Pendleton in 1909.

Headquarters for the business (which is now in the 6th generation of family ownership) was established in Portland in 1919.

It still seems like a long drive from the east side of the state to the west, or vice versa, especially in the winter.

yourturntoloveit and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Thanks! I did not know that.

And yes - a heck of a drive!

14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

All the Pendleton clothing I've seen has "Portland, Oregon" on the label. I read somewhere (can't remember where, lol) that it's older pieces that have "Pendleton, Oregon" on the label. May not be true, it seems, for the blankets.

15. Bakersgma

I never looked that closely at the labels, I guess. ;)

16. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The last Beaver State labels on blankets (after the one shown here) went into production in 1972, and said Pendleton, Oregon until very recently. Now apparently neither Portland nor Pendleton, Oregon is used. Most simply say Pendleton Woolen Mills

On clothing, the Portland, Oregon on the label dates back to the 1920s, when clothing lines were first introduced. So it doesn't appear to be a recent addition. I don't think clothing was ever made in Pendleton, so the earlier labels would say Portland, Oregon.

The more generic label, leaving off the town names, may be a result of moving production of some of the clothing to overseas factories. The fabric is still made in Pendleton and Washougal, but the sewing of about half the clothing and home goods is largely done in Mexico and Japan,

bluumz likes this.
  17. Shane Tunnell

Shane Tunnell New Member

My beaver state blanket says it was made in Pendleton, Organ any ideas on how old it may be? Or it's worth?

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

read the thread...show us pictures.....and only sometimes do we offer values..

19. Bakersgma

And be sure to spell Oregon correctly when you search. ;)

komokwa and Taupou like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted