Featured Pennsylvania Dutch chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by TerriLynn, Jun 5, 2019.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

No didn't, i don't pay any attention to nonsense in here any more, don't have the time.
    I base my opinion on what i think, based on pics provided.
    The hardware as well as the overall form of this piece is consistent with late 18th century chests built both here in america & europe.
    You can't authenticate old furniture with photos alone, the only way to know for sure is an in person examination which, is impossible in this setting.

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Yes we all do that, because that’s all we have to go on isn’t it. Opinions evolve as we see more pics and get input from others. But since when were 18th century American chests made with two butted pieces of wood on top, bottom, back and front? And would 18th century panel frame have a cut off rabbet in the middle for no reason? Or butt the panel frame with the lid overhang?

Calling other opinions nonsense, just because you disagree with them? Lighten up, no one is earning money or scoring points here.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. James Conrad

Jeff, you do not even know what the name of this chest is, nevermind the particulars of the construction details.
    I am simply not interested in going down some dead end cul de sac with posters who have no clue what they are talking about.

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

TerriLynn: Just a thought: Try showing a photo of the lid painting to the Heritage Center @ Red Cloud School to see if someone might recognize the artwork / artist. Good Luck!

judy, Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

OK, the feet look German to me.

And.....

"BTW, the "Pennsylvania Dutch" thingy is kind of a myth/ marketing type dealio. The vast majority of 18th century immigrants to PA were Germans and yes, a few Dutch, Swiss, etc but mostly Germans. Naturally, an entire industry has grown up around this "Pennsylvania Dutch" myth for marketing reasons."

The Dutch thing is an Occam's Razor. Germans call their country Deutschland, as we know. In the Anglicized world of 18th and 19th century Pennsylvania (and elsewhere, but especially PA), "Deutsch" was corrupted to become "Dutch." Thus the misbranding of an entire ethnic group. It's got nothing to do with Holland.

Then, as now, most Americans couldn't find Holland (or Germany) on a map if they were paid to do so, much less tell the difference between the two languages. Just saying. But as James implied, it makes for good marketing and lots of tchotchkes.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Um, James, I own an authentic Pennsylvania chest in original paint from late 18th early 19th century, so I actually do know what I’m talking about. It isn’t dated so isn’t worth huge money, but it has nice early tulip decoration so I’m quite happy with it. I have several pieces in early paint, this is just one. I was looking at it and comparing to OPs. And yes, I do know construction details since it’s right in front of me. I’ll note you never answered my question about the incorrect construction details on the OPs chest.

I don’t know why you want to pretend to be the only person on this forum who knows anything about early furniture, there is plenty of old furniture out there. And plenty of people who have collected and studied early furniture and who have the ability to contribute. Your supercilious attitude should really be toned down, since there is no need for it. You know early furniture, that is clear. But you aren’t perfect, and it would be good if you would consider other points of view because sometimes they are right.

7. Jeff Drum

Crickets from James. Just to put this discussion to bed, took a couple pics of a period chest to illustrate what bothered me about calling the OP chest "18th century, probably Pennsylvania". Pic 1 shows single board back and side of a period chest: this was common for native (non imported) lumber of the 18th/early 19th century. Board shown is over 18" wide. The two boards glued together seen on the front and back of OP piece would be unusual back in the 18th century when there was still a lot of old-growth lumber being used.

Also, panels must have been non-original and added on OP piece, seen in much newer yet recycled wood being nailed on - which is clear in OP pics from underneath and the back and because the lid doesn't overhang the panels (since they were added later). Pic 2 shows what the overhang of a period chest should look like.

P6301446.jpg P6301452.jpg

8. TerriLynn

TerriLynn Member

The boards on the back and top are single boards. The architectural panels look nailed on and not glued. I just assumed this was a PA Dutch chest and wanted some opinions on what to do with it. Regardless of who made this, when it was made, or where it was made I think this is a beautiful piece and I would like to preserve it. I have spoken with rosemalers and they do not believe that the paint looks odd as it would have to have been treated to prevent tannin bleed through.
    How would I go about cleaning this? I do have wax, but I don’t think that will fix the chipping paint from sitting out in the rain. Any help would be appreciated!!!

judy likes this.
  9. TerriLynn

TerriLynn Member

I may try that since some of the costumes on the men have colorful tops on.

judy likes this.
  10. James Conrad

Yeah, that's typical 18th century construction, naturally, it could be early 19th but the hardware which looks original (lock/hinges) argue for 18th in my view.

That is tricky unless the surface has a clear coat over it (like shellac/varnish), in which case you can remove/clean clear coat with a solvent like alcohol. Generally speaking, if dirt/grime is imbedded directly in paint itself, you can't clean it without damaging the decoration.

Jivvy, komokwa and judy like this.
  11. James Conrad

Generally speaking, paint can be a complicated subject, particularly early paint. If you like the present paint decoration & want to preserve it, I would find someone qualified to examine the chest in person. It's really the only way to evaluate and come up with a restoration plan, photos simply won't do.
    The reason i am thinking the paint is not original to the piece is, in your first photo the painted lid/top edge is very similar to the bottom edge just above red painted moulding. So if the lid/top has been repainted..............

Click To Enlarge (i hope) :)
    blow up.jpeg

Jivvy likes this.
  12. James Conrad

Well, would not let me enlarge as much as i wanted, photo size limits here but, those 2 edges are very close, paint decoration wise.

Jivvy and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted