Featured Persephone cameo? Please help!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Good evening,
    New purchase, possibly Persephone cameo set in sterling silver.
    The stone used is heavy, and I ruled out Whitby Jet. Could it be onyx or is it glass?
    I can see the carving is glued, but am not sure about what the carving is made of, it looks like stone to my eye.
    I would like to ask your thoughts on the depiction, age and the stone, as I am still learning, this is only a presumption.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona
    @Bronwen @PepperAnna @Any Jewelry @kyratango
    CB8BF719-BA28-47D2-AA8A-116D65792A5C.jpeg 4A3C6D34-E5B3-4EF5-AF81-3C5F07F4FC7E.jpeg 31CD8F7C-2DBB-49B4-89C5-9EBA94EF4F9D.jpeg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The nymph Arethusa, who is closely connected with Persephone.

3. Bronwen

If it's assembled of 2 pieces, think glass is most likely. Have never seen such a piece where both parts were stone.

4. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much, there is a small chip down, will take a photo in the morning if that helps to get a better idea.
    Is there any test I could do for glass, would it be see through?
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona

Bronwen likes this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I see open bubbles on the back, thus glass;)
    Victorian era, around 1880.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2024
  6. Simona Buhus

Thank you for your reply. I wonder how can one identify which is which? Is there a difference or a tell tell between the depiction of Nymph Arethusa and Persephone?
    Thank you.

Bronwen likes this.
  7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Definitely glass. You can see the popped bubbles in the front as well. These aren't always see-though. Some were made of glass pastes so they'll look more like a ceramic. The tell are the little popped bubbles, or grains of the paste you can sometimes see in close-ups. Also, pieces that don't have under-cutting and/or are glued are usually molded.

I have a couple glass paste Ceres, one of a similar time period as this one. This type don't come up as often and they have better molds than most. I think they're really lovely.

Simona Buhus and Bronwen like this.
  8. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much, after posting it, I had the curiosity to put a strong light under it, and yes, there is a dark red glass base, with a bubble inside, please see photos. I will have a look again to see the popped bubbles, are you referring to the small holes at the back?
    The top, the cameo, feels of a different material and it is opaque, no light travels through, like you’ve mentioned, feels like ceramic. There is a small chip, please see photo. I have no idea how chipped glass should look like, comments on opinions are welcomed.
    Thank you.
    Kind regards,
    Simona C0FE06D3-8F29-40A7-8204-EDA4CFE3EE0A.jpeg D9AD5EA1-871A-4A83-8838-F8BED5D16FC0.jpeg

kyratango, mirana and Bronwen like this.
  9. Bronwen

It's not always possible to be certain. We have images of assorted nymphs from the coinage of ancient Magna Graeca, particularly Syracuse. The ID of Arethusa is most definite when she is ringed with dolphins, as on this tetradrachm:

Arethusa tetradrachm 1 adj.jpg

Persephone tends to wear less in the way of jewellery. She may have bi- rather than tripartite earrings. She is most clearly recognized in her role of Kore (daughter, maiden) Soteira (saviour). She had various looks on coins:

https://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?results=100&search=soteira

kyratango and mirana like this.
  10. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

There look to be small divots (popped bubbles) on her chin and cheek.

This is one I have that's a glass paste, with a Tassie paste for comparison. It's completely opaque and fairly heavy.

Simona Buhus and kyratango like this.
  11. Bronwen

If you follow Mirana's link to the show & tell thread, then scroll down to my post below hers, you will see a photo of chipped glass.

Simona Buhus, kyratango and mirana like this.
  12. Simona Buhus

Thank you so much, really appreciate your advise.

mirana, Bronwen and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted