Featured Persian agate imitation glass bead

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Soki, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Soki

Soki Active Member

Hi guys,

got this nice bead. According to the seller it‘s 300 to 600 years old. It definetely looks old and has a few nicks.
    Does anyone know more about this type of bead? I couldn’t find much about older faux banded agate glass beads. I think they were produced because of the lack of the real thing, which is nowadays pretty affordable.

the bead is handmade, no seam.
    It measures about 16x14.7mm.

thanks,
    Simon

upload_2023-1-13_12-32-9.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-13_12-32-18.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-13_12-32-28.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-13_12-32-40.jpeg

2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Some one post about the beadman facebook page. I joined and he looks like your best bet. he lectures on beads so i think he knows his stuff. Joining was quick and free .

Figtree3, kyratango and Soki like this.
  3. Soki

Soki Active Member

Thank you very much! Joined the group.

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  4. Soki

Soki Active Member

Hi guys,

here comes the denouement, I‘ll quote Jamey Allen alias The Beadman:

„Hello Simon. This is a European trade bead that is less than 200 years old. They are most-often seen in Asia, and particularly Central Asia (Afghanistan, Iran, and the region). In those contexts the beads are fervently believed to be "ancient." I have exposed that these are trade beads multiple times—including my paper on Misrepresentation for the Istanbul Conference in 2007. The beads have been variously called "Phoenician," "Roman," "Islamic," etc., etc. (A LOT of time to cover, mistakenly.) I refer to these beads, simply as "agate-glass." The best proof that they are trade beads is the fact that they are lampworked (!). The glass itself is easily compared to Venetian and Central European artifacts, that were made to imitate banded agate vessels and products. There are certainly ancient versions of glass imitations of banded agates (and other stones). But not these beads. I will show you a past dialogue. By the way, the Chinese made similar beads in the 20th C., and there are new Javanese interpretations—some of which are very good-looking.“

At least it‘s a quality handmade and antique piece;)

Have a nice weekend,
    Simon

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Interesting Simon, thanks for posting his reply.
    The beadman is a true expert, good to have an accessible resource person like that. He has also helped me with a string of mystery beads.

Figtree3, stracci, Soki and 1 other person like this.
  6. Soki

Soki Active Member

You‘re welcome. I thought it‘s possibly interesting for someone else.
    Yes, definetely! He has an amazing knowledge and is author of very interesting books, which are sadly super rare and expensive now (200$+). It‘s also great that he helps for free and answers very detailed.

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

What detailed information! If I collected beads I would definitely join that group!

Soki and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted