Peter....you asked for it so...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by KingofThings, Mar 6, 2015.

1. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Hello all! I'm pleased to be here so thank you Peter for asking that I write something about me and my interests.
    As far as 'antiques' go I just love old stuff! Some things that I see around or own make me wonder what experiences that object has witnessed, not that an an inanimate object can do this I know but...I wonder.
    I have also produced 'found object' artwork in which I pull things together, that seem to wish to be together, to tell a story usually based on an old photograph I have found. These objects are nested within and sometimes on the outside of old furniture drawers, old boxes and old small suitcases. I have been in art shows with these and invited to shows as well. I love doing these pieces.
    When I put them together I do my best to not interfere with the object itself in regard to mounting it.
    Many things that show wear and tear interest me more for this reason. I am more apt to save them from further destruction than others might. US flags fall under this category and if they are in good shape I buy and keep them for my own use, or to give away, and if not I see to it they are properly disposed of. Did you know that dry cleaners used to clean flags for free? Few, if any, do today. :wacky:
    Many things catch my attention in person or on eBay/Etsy mostly, but it's all about cost 99.9% of the time. If it's something I just shouldn't pass up and I can afford then I get it for I know it will haunt me. :nailbiting: You all know of this I bet...
    This just happened with an old wooden British Navy cruiser model I bought. It is in fairly good salvageable shape. The antique store and seller agreed to my offer and I'm very happy to have it.
    I'll shorten this up by sharing the things I most look for. Since I served in our surface Navy, and my youngest son a submariner, I like US Navy ship and sailor photos including women and children in navy uniforms. I also look for: books, 'Yard Long' photos of all sizes, Charles Lindbergh info/items, drag racing items, Statue of Liberty items, Jersey City NJ and some New Jersey items in general.
    I think that's enough but ask if you wish to know more.
    Thank you for you time, Milt

2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, KingofThings.

I'll keep an eye out for your posts about your "finds" (especially books), and I know someone who will be interested in any New Jersey items you may post about.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

OK! Who might that be... You?

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the madhouse! My parents were both north Jersey escapees. Dad was from Maplewood and Mom was from Elizabeth. My aunt and all my cousins are from Union. I'm from Connecticut, but that part of New Jersey is definitely familiar.

6. yourturntoloveit

Not me, my DH.

See Page 11, Post #202 on the "A Thread to Bring Back Memories . . . ." on this website under "General Discussion." ;)

KingofThings likes this.
  7. yourturntoloveit

Evelynb30, my goodness, Elizabeth, NJ, is where DH lived as a young child. They later moved to Clifton, NJ, where DH "grew up."

It is a small world, isn't it?

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

I'm from Jersey City and though long gone I visit each year and cruise around the state discovering places and things.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Welcome King....

KingofThings likes this.
  10. KingofThings

Thank you...Dorothy. ;) "Pay no attention to that man behind the (email)" :)

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome, KingofThings -- I hope you enjoy it here.

KingofThings likes this.
  12. KingofThings

Thank you!

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Welcome!

KingofThings likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Milt,
    Welcome to the board. We are all in the same boat and get along, no snarling or yipping. We love to see others stuff. There a quite a lot of us here in Jersey. I retired here to Brick. Lived in Merchantville and moved to NYC. Swore hell would freeze over before I would come to Jersey again. 1995 I moved to South Plainfield and that was the winter where it snowed every weekend for months. Hell does freeze over.:rolleyes:
    greg

15. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

YA THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. KingofThings

Hi! Thank you and happy to hear all that! It overcomes a horribly foul mouthed comment from a supposed 14 year old on a gmail post.
    Nice there. My Uncle Paul lived in Brick.

17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Welcome. I'm a washashore on Cape Cod. Originally from NH, spent 10 years in Boston. Hubby is a 31 year Navy Vet - spent 4 on board a ship and 23 with the Seabees. Last few years with a joint Reserve Unit in Iceland. My parents had a barn out back and did flea markets so I came to be a dealer early in life. My problem is buying and then keeping instead of selling. I think you've come to the right place.

Are you sure we shouldn't call you Mader? LOL. My grandson's favorite movie.

KingofThings likes this.
  18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Greetings and salutations !

KingofThings likes this.
  19. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

OMG....I was born and raised in Jersey City :jawdrop:. Small world.:D.
    We need to talk....

KingofThings likes this.
  20. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I have cousins right outside of Brick. Small world indeed.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted