Pewter foot for bowl? Help IDing this please.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Marie W, Apr 3, 2024.

1. Marie W

Marie W Member

I recently bought an old, dusty, unattractively hand painted glass bowl with a rickety, loose metal foot that fell off every time I picked it up. The metal was dark gray, and I assumed it was silverplate or stainless or something. After passing this thing up for more than a month, the curiosity got me, so I splurged the $4 and bought it, lol.

There is a mark on the inside of the foot, a C and L with the number 42. I cleaned it up a bit (a cursory cleanup) and I believe the foot is pewter? I am completely clueless when it comes to this, but it didn't polish up bright and shiny like silver, and it's somewhat hefty-- which made me think it might be pewter.

is this familiar to anyone? It’s about 6” wide at the base, 4 1/4” where it’s supposed to attach to the bowl.

Would love to know how old this thing is! Where was it made? When? IMG_7377.jpeg IMG_7376.jpeg IMG_7372.jpeg Also including an image of it as I found it, so you can see how the bowl looks with it.

komokwa likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

any marking on the glass ?

3. Marie W

Marie W Member

No marks on the glass, it's not cut glass though, and not crystal that I can tell.