Pewter Marks - Unknown

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by PaulBD, Jul 14, 2019.

1. PaulBD

PaulBD Member

IMG_20190713_104711 (2).jpg IMG_20190713_104658 (2).jpg IMG_20190713_104735 (2).jpg IMG_20190713_104711 (2).jpg IMG_20190713_104658 (2).jpg IMG_20190713_104735 (2).jpg Hi

I purchased these four pewter plates a while back. This is way outside of my expertise zone but believe it or not, they were going to scrap, so I picked them up for next to nothing.

From my general knowledge, I'd guess two of these are 19C or earlier (the two larger circular ones). That's based upon weight, signs of wear etc. The larger platter and the tiny circular plate are I think modern(ish) though not brand new.

I've looked at this site and my own limited refs on pewter (I don't have a copy of Tardy on pewter) and can't find much. The first is a crowned F with what looks like a town gate or castle mark. I know some Swiss work carries an F fineness mark but the cartouche here is different and it looks closer to the French mark. I cannot read the letters on the second touch mark - they're possibly "CASTEL" or something close. These are on one of the round plates - the other has no marks at all.

The second mark is the ubiquitous crowned rose with a "069" and two wavy lines. This looks and feels perhaps 19-20thC to me and of lesser quality. They're on the platter.

The final one is a bat - on the tiny dish. That too feels like 19-20C.

If anyone has seen these before - all steering help gratefully received.

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  2. PaulBD

PaulBD Member

Apologies for incompetence with the images...

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hi, Paul! Could we see pictures of the items themselves, please?

4. PaulBD

PaulBD Member

Apols again - all thumbs today....

Attached Files:

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

(I do sympathize! I can spell, but not type. You wouldn't believe the mess I have to untangle before pushing "Post.")

komokwa likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS, Paul!!! Not to worry, many new members have a bit of trouble with images.....it all works out eventually!!!:smug::smug:

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi and welcome! Well, I've looked through most of my pewter books and haven't seen yours. I do have the StarĂ¡ book of Marks of the World and Tardy's Poinçons d'Etain.

The closest I got with the tower mark is from Cotterell's book of mostly UK marks and it's not really that close.
    img20190714_154032.jpg img20190714_153946.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  9. PaulBD

PaulBD Member

Hmm. Thanks say_it_slowly. Y'know, I'd assumed these were French but the touch mark is surprisingly similar to the second. On mine there are some marks above the towers which are badly rubbed but they cold be the remnants of the heraldic beast on yours. I can also see there was something before the "C" which has now entirely gone.

However, there are some differences too. May need to stay a mystery!

Thanks again.

komokwa likes this.
  10. PaulBD

PaulBD Member

Just wanted to close this off with my thanks for everyone's thoughts and help.

I've researched it a fair bit but I can't identify any of these marks. As this really isn't my collection area and I can't really identify them, I'll just sell these four off I think.

Thanks again to everyone who chipped in

komokwa and i need help like this.