Pewter marks

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wildrose, Mar 19, 2015.

1. wildrose

wildrose Well-Known Member

I cannot locate this mark, it doesn't help that it is only partially stamped. I think it is a version of crown/rose mark. Any thoughts? I've googled lots of pewter images. pewter1.jpg pewter2.jpg

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I can't say if the large mark is the crown rose or not. The English crown rose marks did not have any lettering on the crown or the rose. Continental crown roses did have lettering on the crown and/or rose. As it says England, if that is a crown rose then of course it would be a British crown rose. I wish I could make out the 4 smaller punches. I saved the pages of Pat's pewter website after he died. For a long time we could still get to his excellent cite via the Internet archive Wayback machine; however, that doesn't work anymore. I have looked through the pages finding no mark similar to 1/2 of that big mark. Now he did have pages shapes and styles of tankards. Looking at the shapes on his "Great Britain" page, the "Scottish pot-bellied measure, 18th century. Similar to the Dutch Rembrandtkan." looks the closest to this one. I have included a print/screen pic of them. If you can get a better pic of those smaller marks, there is a chance I might be able to ID the maker.

--- Susan

ScottishPotMeasure.jpg

Born2it likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

With "England" on it in this manner, I am skeptical about it being all that old. Not saying brand new, just not 100s of years. Could be 100, but unlikely to be 150 (just to clarify what I mean.)

Traditional shapes are being made even today, of course, so that is not definitive either.

JMHO

Houseful likes this.
  4. wildrose

the marks are really really hard to make out, here is the best picture I can get. pewter3.jpg

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

>With "England" on it in this manner, I am skeptical about it being all that old. Not saying brand new, just not 100s of years. Could be 100, but unlikely to be 150 <

I'm in total agreement with Baker. "England" makes it definitely not "18th century," but possibly in that style. Okay, those 4 small punches look like the typical pseudo hallmarks used on British pewter to simulate silver hallmarks. I have included a print screen pic of British pseudo hallmarks that were on Pat's pewter site. Similar pseudo hallmarks were used on American and Dutch pewter.

Yours appears to be:
    1st. letters, 2nd. animal Kangaroo, 3rd. sugar bowls/teapots on a shelf, 4th. possibly an animal face.

The one's on the pewter site:
    1st. letters/initials, 2nd. top half of an animal, 3rd. sugar bowls/teapots on a shelf, 4th. boar's head.

--- Susan

PewterPseudoHMks.jpg

6. wildrose

Thanks Susan and Baker. =)

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I strongly suspect it's 1950s, there was a big thing for those then.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. wildrose

9. Hermann

Hermann New Member

Answer: Yes! It's a crowned rose mark. I have a small pewter beer stein stamped with this hallmark. Unfortunately, I do not know how to upload pictures here. I am nor a member. —Hermann

10. Hermann

Hermann New Member

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

on top of the metal forum there is the link to the pewter marks site - still active and complete.

12. Hermann

Hermann New Member

Thank you! What's the link? I did a search and cannot find it on the metal forum.

13. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

14. Hermann

Hermann New Member

Thank you! As I said, I have a Crowned Rose Hallmark on a small stein that confirms WildRose's is one too but I don't know how to uploaded it. If I drag the picture onto this answer, for example, the system tells me "Uploads are not available"! I have exhaustively searched the web, but cannot find anything similar to this hallmark. It appears to be rather unique.

15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Here is a link to the Non-British list of Crowned Tudor Rose marks from the pewter marks archive.

https://web.archive.org/web/2010112...agons.com/index.php?p=1_19_Crowned-Rose-marks

Note that since Rose's item had multiple partially struck marks and only a small partial mark (that we suspected was a crowned tudor rose,) but also had England stamped on it, the conclusion was reached ( over 4 years ago) that her item was mid-20th century with pseudo-marks. Therefore
    the older mark information would be irrelevant.

We'd love to see your item and it's marks, Hermann.

17. Hermann

Hermann New Member

Guess I am not fully registered. I never received the information email.

18. i need help

19. Hermann

Hermann New Member

OK! Since I cannot upload the image of my Crowned Rose Pewter Hallmark here, I uploaded it and made it public on my Facebook. Perhaps someone can download it from there and upload it here.

https://www.facebook.com/german.westphal.5

P.S. I generally keep my Facebook private, for my family members only.

20. i need help

77289F0A-F6C8-4394-A0C6-45D290B4C0F4.jpeg E3E2F306-C6B1-4558-BA9D-86CF2C6FBD29.jpeg
    You can delete your private Facebook if you like, until things get squared away.

Draft saved Draft deleted