Pharaohs Horses painting by C Henny. Anyone recognize the name?

Discussion in 'Art' started by J Dagger, Sep 9, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

576B1BE5-14C1-4925-9FEE-50902D6C02AF.jpeg 75707183-7820-4E57-A5D8-7467F4ED5897.jpeg 71837289-3883-49A0-A9CD-3FF989071F25.jpeg For sale locally for a low price. Sold or at least framed by The Picture House in West Hempstead NY. They are out of business based on the address and have been for some time. Signed by C. Henny it seems. The frame obscures part of the signature. Seller found it at a tag sale. Has anyone seen anything by this artist before? I can’t find even a mention of C. Henny anywhere. Could and may be nothing but it’s a nice reproduction. Anyone think there’s any value here? C490992F-9D30-42A9-9EFD-39C79594A3B2.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

horse lovers might like this..!

Christmasjoy, sabre123 and J Dagger like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a copy. An internet search will identify the original of your painting as John Frederick Herring Sr.'s popular 1848 work 'Pharoah's Horses.'

Debora

4. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

It's an accomplished copy, so I would think it would have, at least, decorator value.

kyratango, Christmasjoy and J Dagger like this.
  5. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Check the thread title. I think OP knows it's a copy. ;)

6. J Dagger

That and I mentioned it was a “reproduction” in my post :). It seems very well done to me. It’s listed at $50 and I’m sure I could get it for less. Confident I could double that or more as a nice piece of decoration pretty easily. Didn’t know if maybe there was additional value in the artist C. Henny since I couldn’t find anything.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

You can check to see if the painting was rolled before framed, kind of looks like it. This would indicate to me that it was painted in China and shipped in cheap for decorator value. I have often been surprised at the good quality level of painting skills some of the orientals have achieved.

judy, kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  8. J Dagger

Interesting, how would you tell? They would just throw an "American" (caucasian) sounding name on as a signature? Since the artists name didn't appear to hold any interest I passed or really delayed replying and someone else coughed up the dough. If it was a mass produced decorator piece I am definitely surprised at how good it looks. As you mentioned if that were the case it was shockingly well done.

judy and antidiem like this.
  9. antidiem

Yeah. I was once fooled to the tune of over $800 bucks! The orientals will copy ANYTHING you send them a picture of! :cold: :dead:

judy and kyratango like this.
  10. antidiem

The painting you showed the picture of has been rolled, probably for shipping, I can tell by looking at it. <--Does this answer what you asked me? :cat:

judy likes this.
  11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

If it isn't a print laid on canvas, it looks like quite a good early 20thc copy of a Herring.. Oh and probably the name is Henry rather than Henny!

J Dagger and judy like this.
  12. antidiem

yes blooey, it could be Henry, but it sort of doesn't matter.. ;)

13. J Dagger

Yikes. That’s a hit! Is it impossible that it was rolled between frames? I assumed that this wasn’t the original frame for some reason. Not sure how paintings are stored while being reframed or waiting for framing? Certainly not saying your wrong in regards to China, just wondering.

Also yes it answers my question so long as I can remotely tap into that knowledge when needed?...

antidiem and judy like this.
  14. J Dagger

Lol you’re probably right! I don’t know how it is I didn’t come to that conclusion on my own. Clearly I’m on crack. There are several C. Henry’s it seems.

antidiem and judy like this.
  15. antidiem

Yeah it was quite a hit. Mine was never rolled. My fako was painted on 1950s art board canvas, as it was a copy of a 1950s painting. It was actually more beautifully painted than the original! But it was a copy. And due to the seller's bad packing, it arrived damaged. :( I gave it away..

J Dagger likes this.
  16. J Dagger

What gave if away as a fake in the end?

17. antidiem

Along the way of the deception, I discovered a photo of the original. The color pallet used in the fake was more colorful than the original artist's selection for the painting. By that point, it was easy to look at the rest of his body of work and say, "this is better, but it's a copy of his original" as it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted