Photo ID Needed - Ernest B. Fry, Shipley Yorks

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by exekutywa, Jun 27, 2021.

1. exekutywa

exekutywa Member

Hi Antiquers,

Could you please help with identifying this set?

It is a set of 6 magic lantern slides, all slides have the inscription "Ernest B. Fry, Shipley Yorks.

Is this one of Bradford's textile factory's? There is a number of threads online about this textile factory however I couldn't identify any of the pictures that way.

I would like to know the location of them and the approx year if possible.

Can you help?

Many thanks,

MagicLantern Slide 526.jpg MagicLantern Slide 527.jpg MagicLantern Slide 528.jpg MagicLantern Slide 529.jpg MagicLantern Slide 530.jpg

MagicLantern Slide 525.jpg

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe dorset sheep...
    upload_2021-6-27_12-57-20.jpeg

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I found mention of testimony in 1907 by Ernest B. Fry of Shipley, Yorkshire, who was also " Consulting Textile Expert and Examiner in Woollen and Worsted Spinning to the City and Guilds of London" -- He was testifying in the House of Commons regarding use of the metric system in the woolen industries.
    "Mr. Ernest B. Fry, Shipley, Yorkshire, Consulting Textile Expert and Examiner in Woollen and Worsted Spinning to the City and Guilds of London, said—"Some of the opponents of the metric system instance the use of the English textile standards for counts, etc., in some of the Continental factories, and this has undoubtedly arisen because of the large proportion of English machinery in use in these factories and the very large quantity of English yarns sent out to these countries, but this is a very poor reason for perpetuating these innumerable standards; but, on the other hand, I know personally of instances here in which managers in the mills make the whole of their calculations on a metric basis because of its simplicity, and then convert their results into English standards for use in the mills. There are also many warehouses in the Bradford district where the metric system has been in regular use for several years. A great deal too much is made of the supposed difficulty which would occur in making an alteration, but I am strongly of opinion that within a few months of its compulsory adoption it would be working with the greatest smoothness in nearly every case, and with far less cost in changing than its opponents make out."

Here is a link to the page where I found it... more than halfway down. I hope this is of some help. At least a general date range:
    https://hansard.parliament.uk/commo...59-ebe8-4114-81ab-5734e42bcc5d/CommonsChamber

Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  5. Figtree3

Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  6. Figtree3

It appears the man's head (or maybe his whole body) in this one is painted or drawn, but the rest looks like a photograph.

Sheep shearer.jpg

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The workers moved during the photographic process and someone made the decision to replace the blurred bits with drawings. The effect is rather artificial. It would be helpful if you posted a photograph of the "Ernest B. Fry, Shipley Yorks" inscription.

Debora

Figtree3, Darkwing Manor and Bronwen like this.
  8. exekutywa

exekutywa Member

Here it is.

IMG_20210627_183509.jpg

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  9. exekutywa

exekutywa Member

Thank you for all this info - This is greatly appreciated!

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So the label looks like its purpose is ownership rather than branding. That makes sense given the research @Figtree3 did above on Fry. He may well have used them for professional presentations.

Debora

Fid and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

These occupational photos are stunning! Researchers will be excited to see them. The last image of the shearer looks like a crude version of solar images, which can really throw you when trying to identify the technique. Used mostly for portrait enlargements, an overlay of charcoal or pastels enhanced the image. Regardless, all types of photos were manipulated, from the very beginning. There have been past threads on solars here in the Forum, if you want to chase those. soalr2.jpg

12. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Merino sheep station, Australia

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  13. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

They look like their sire was the Michelin Man.
    merino.jpg

Fid, Aquitaine and daveydempsey like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted