Photo of Eastern Costumes, what do you think?!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Apologies for writing my tag name all over the photo, but I'm feeling a bit paranoid at the moment!

I'd love some opinions on this image, which came in a tatty old album filled with photographs and prints. Measures 14.5 x 10cm and is firmly stuck to a cardboard page, with 'Eastern Costumes' scrawled underneath.

The original owner appears to have come from Norfolk, England and the seller I bought it from suggested some connected to photographer Francis Frith, although I don't have evidence for that.

So... what does it look like to you? Authentic? Victorian fancy dress party? Theatre related? Mass produced photo to show the costumes (I can't find another online but that doesn't mean there aren't any...)? What does the upturned crescent moon symbol mean? Masonic?

Hope you find it as intriguing as I do!

eastern copy.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. Batman_2000

judy likes this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Two of the figures in this section do not look like they would have been allowed to become members of the Eastern rite:

upload_2017-12-21_7-0-30.png

Figtree3, Bakersgma, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Those were probably men as well. It is a fancy dress or amateur theatre thing, including fake beards.

5. Bronwen

One of them is not in Eastern Costume:

upload_2017-12-21_9-0-34.png

I am starting to wonder if this is not a collage of pictures that was rephotographed to be one image. Agree many of the beards appear to be false. Here & there see places that hint figures may have been cut out & overlaid. Could just be my eyes & poor sense of depth in photos.

Sandra, Batman_2000 and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

To me, the many obviously fake beards lead to the idea that they were "dressing up" in costumes. Some of the costumes may possibly be authentic clothing, but I don't see this as a group wearing their regular clothing. And, the "Eastern Costumes" written on it could mean either way. "Costume" is a word with more than one meaning.

Also, what about the guy with the Western-style suit?

Batman_2000 and Sandra like this.
  7. Bronwen

Another bunch of Shriners:

[​IMG]

Batman_2000, Bakersgma and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The Order of the Mystic Shrine is NOT associated with Masons, free or otherwise. ;)

Neat photo, though.

Bronwen and Batman_2000 like this.
  9. Batman_2000

Thanks! I'm not all that familiar with this kind of thing... in fact, have never heard of the Mystic Shrine (I'll look it up)! I gather there are Masonic lodges, and secret societies, and different kinds of groups like this?

So perhaps the false beards are an attempt at disguise? 'Santa Claus' springs to mind! I would definitely be thinking along theatrical lines if it weren't for the crescent moons, which feel almost pagan.

Also, I agree they are all men...

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Not disguises. Costumes for events. The Odd Fellows have attics full of similar stuff. Very mysterious. Back in the 19th century, before iPhones, iPods and streaming video, there were lots of fraternal organizations. About the only ones you hear about now are Masons, Odd Fellows, and now there are Rotarians and Kiwanians. You can find lists online:List_of_general_fraternities

11. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I agree about collage concept. Check the 2 men on either side holding staffs. Not only are they much taller than the others, their heads are 2-3 times larger. That seems disproportionate to me, you would expect people of larger stature to have a larger head, but that seems too much of a disparity to me.

Batman_2000 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  12. Batman_2000

Thanks for the link :). I've heard of the Freemasons of course, but the rest are a bit of a mystery to me. From the little I've just read there seems to have been some overlap with all of these societies, but they evolved in different ways. Fascinating.

I see what you mean, but I'm not convinced.... I'll take a close look at a higher resolution. Is there an area of the photo that seems particularly suspicious to you?

I'm thinking the photo dates to the 1890s (which fits with the images in the album).

13. Bakersgma

Boys have always wanted to have their "secret clubs." They all have a social component (going to the lodge or clubhouse for a few drinks with the boys), some a religious component (the Masons' base their rituals and iconography on Christianity), many a charitable component (doing good works like the Shriner's Hospitals.) The Masons had a reputation as "the elite" of society and government, secretly running things for the benefit of their members. Ever read or see The DaVinci Code?

Bronwen and Batman_2000 like this.
  14. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I know nothing about photography, but the right arm on the man in western dress and the left arm of the gent with staff on the far left of photo seem to be so cleanly imposed on those standing next to them. The 3 seated in front seem to be what I would expect to see in a photo.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  15. Batman_2000

Yes, but it's a while ago now and maybe I didn't read it deeply enough!

According to the Wikipedia page, the UK didn't have as many secret societies as the US, for instance. I've been google-hopping and came across Aleister Crowley's Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. Very mysterious!

I wonder if the contrast is too high in the scan, making the image look a little unreal? The lighter/brighter areas do look a bit clean and over-exposed. I've re-scanned and taken any adjustments off:
    eastern man 1.jpg
    eastern man 2.jpg

16. Figtree3

This brings to mind something I was going to mention earlier. There is a woman in this photo. That seems somewhat unusual for the types of organizations we are considering. Many of them have women's orgs also connected, but... to have one in the same photo?

I've been wondering if it might be some sort of theatrical group but am not at all sure how one would be able to tell.

Batman_2000 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  17. Bakersgma

There are at least 2 people in women's dress, but I don't think there are actual females under those veils. ;)

Bronwen, Any Jewelry and Batman_2000 like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

He forgot his costume, but since he financed the whole thing, he had to be in the picture.;)

Figtree3, Bronwen, Sandra and 2 others like this.
  19. Figtree3

You mean the two with partial face coverings! Duh, I missed the one in the patterned outfit.

Bakersgma likes this.
  20. Figtree3

And Bronwen already alluded to those two. I missed it!

Batman_2000 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted