Photo of Eastern Costumes, what do you think?!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Batman_2000, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What Bronwen missed was that it is all 3 of those figures. I did not notice the taller figure in the back is also wearing a face veil. Agree with AJ that the ostensibly female figures likely to be men. I was thinking of the shorter veiled figure & the one who is non-Anglo, of which I then noticed there are 2. Maybe the guy who is not in eastern garb made the picture? Despite some resemblance, do not think they are lodge members, or some are, with some of the others added for effect. I sense a joke here. The 2 who are what was once called 'dusky' are definitely out of place in that group, even if the 'women' are not.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Theatrical production, and the gent in the suit is the director? The two tall guys were added to the photo because they missed the dress rehearsal? ;)

3. Bronwen

The man behind the guy in western dress does not appear as though he is participating in the same event.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  4. Bronwen

The 2 on either end who look like escapees from a living tableau of the Nativity look way to big compared to the others.

5. Miky

Miky Never too late to change

It seems to me, that the man in the last enlargement is wearing tephillin/ phylacteries. This points to it probably being a photo from a Purim play. Jewish.Hence the beards and eastern style clothing.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So he is, well spotted Miky:
    [​IMG]

Batman_2000 likes this.
  7. Miky

Miky Never too late to change

A purim play in a boys school probably.

Batman_2000 likes this.
  8. Batman_2000

Batman_2000 Well-Known Member

Many thanks everyone... I'm just catching up after a busy Christmas, and excited to learn about the phylacteries/tefillin (more info here), so a special thanks to Miky :).

Miky has told me that it looks like a play that tells the story of the Book of Esther, with the guy wearing the tefillin probably playing the part of Mordecai. I'm totally unfamiliar with this so will need to do some google research. But it certainly confirms the photo to be theatrical and biblical in nature.

So fascinating! And I'm learning in the process...

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted