Featured Picasso

Discussion in 'Art' started by Jtw1313, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

2. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

Wrong or right don’t know but that’s where I read it

3. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

if you are interested in knowing if it is authorized or not , clearly a print with a fake Picasso siggy added later (IMO) you will have to go through the Picasso administration as Claude has the final say in his fathers works and everyone else is just an opinion , this is a fact , Claude will do it for free from a few pictures but there better be good proof in the pictures as he doesn't screw around with his dads works. If it truly is a Picasso it will indeed have a secret number /date code in it that no body knows but them . lettre.jpg

4. lloyd249

if you didn't sign a non disclosure, there is noting stopping you from sharing the info .

judy, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. lloyd249

this is what i got from the famous "art encounters" on tv's pawn stars that advertises they can do it, but they can't it's all a lie for tv ,
    "Respectfully, Claude Picasso has the final word on works produced by his father. It would be irresponsible of me to comment further on its authenticity", Just glad i didn't pay them they were very bias and negative .

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    judy and i need help like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Anyway, what the auction house said is still shrouded in mystery.:peeking: So it is up to m. Claude now.
    There is something on the grey shading in this Wikipedia article:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Quixote_(Picasso)

Jivvy, lloyd249 and i need help like this.
  7. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

I'm confused. This piece is an obvious reproduction of a seemingly lost Picasso drawing. It would seem that this is a black and grey serigraphic reproduction rather than a lithographic black on white, but it remains a reproduction nonetheless. We can argue about whether this reproduction is more rare than the more common lithographic ones but, at the end of the day, it still doesn't have the significant value one would attach to a genuine Picasso drawing or original limited edition graphic.

8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Not sure I want to wade in here, but just a point of clarification - an original watermark is made by the papermaker, not the artist. It is created by a wire pattern on the screen used in the papermaking process. It is sometimes helpful in authenticating works of art on paper because the pattern can be traced to particular papermakers, the marks may be datable, and artists may be known to have typically used a specific type of paper.

9. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

I have a question how do you identify a serigraph is the print in the paper flat or raised above

10. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

And would ink wash India ink lay in same way

11. Mark London

hard to tell from a photo on the internet but it looks very much like the grey is silkscreened on top of the black. This of course does not rule out the possibility of another hand applying an opaque medium such as gouache on top of the black. I remain convinced that if this were indeed the case that the other hand was not Picasso's.

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  12. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

Yes the grey is on top of the black......the grey and black ink are raised at at certain areas of the black you can see subtle brush strokes........is it possible for India ink to lay this thick?

13. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I suppose the OP supposes this piece is that lost drawing.

If my supposition is correct, then I also suppose an evaluation based on photographs is worth almost precisely as much as I suppose the piece is worth. :joyful:

scoutshouse likes this.
  14. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Exactly... Well put!

15. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Now I need to find my Rembrandt I've been wondering about

16. Mark London

OP, nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be wrong and find out that you have an original Picasso drawing but my 40 plus years of experience in the art business tell me otherwise.

If you want to know with absolute certainty, then you will have to jump through all the hoops of a proper evaluation rather than relying on internet chat rooms for information. Free advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

17. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

Again can India ink lay that thick still waiting lol

18. Mark London

usually no

scoutshouse likes this.
  19. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member

What is usually mean? Does it means it can

20. Jtw1313

Jtw1313 Active Member