Featured Pictures first, polishing later! Can you help with marks?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Mar 5, 2021.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Well another item arrived in the mail today, and I can't wait to show you. This was another blind purchase, without knowing for sure what I was buying. I went off the feel/look/tone of the items and I think I'll be happy with what I got. Here's a few photos of a pair of lovely large peacocks. If anyone can help with the marks, that would be wonderful. I had a country of origin in mind, but I haven't found the marks yet to confirm. Off to polish!

DSC_0333.JPG DSC_0334.JPG DSC_0335.JPG DSC_0337.JPG DSC_0338.JPG IMG_8819.JPG IMG_8820.JPG

2. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Wow! These are lovely!! Good for you! And great polish-up too :)

3. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

4. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I actually hadn't polished them, I think one was dipped in a solution to get the tarnish off (not my preferred look since it takes all the age out of the cracks and crevices which I like on these pieces). Here's the finished polish, I hope you all enjoy these as much as I do!

DSC_8821.JPG DSC_8822.JPG DSC_8823.JPG DSC_8824.JPG DSC_8825.JPG DSC_8826.JPG

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Were you wearing something blue? :p

Can we get another look at the marks post polish?

MrNate and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hi bakersgma :) I wasn't wearing blue, in fact i'm not even in the room when the photo gets taken; I have a blue backdrop that covers my photo area.

Here's the extra photos as resquested:

IMG_8822.JPG IMG_8821.JPG

kyratango, Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

kyratango likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My original supposition was Hanau, because there really isn't any other (unless they were plated and not solid.) So "German" in that listing title does make some sense to me. Hanau makers are not all documented unfortunately.

kyratango, Figtree3 and MrNate like this.
  9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Eh, believe that seller decided they're German 800 silver because of the pseudo-marks - seems much more likely to me that they're 19th century Anglo-Indian (Indian Colonial), have seen marks similar to the 'duty-head' bust and the spiky critter-looking thing, but the Prince-of-Wales feathers/fleur-de-lis seems unfamiliar. Look here at Poignand marks for similar:
    https://www.925-1000.com/AngloIndian_02.html#M

I only have one book on Indian silver, and it's not usually useful, but will check it...

Gorham/Durgin produced versions of these, and I've seen them in silverplate as well, but would think they were based on earlier Indian pieces:

https://www.nelsonandnelsonantiques.com/items/1252986/Gorham-Sterling-Silver-Peacocks-1920
    gorhamdurginpeacocks-nelsonnelson.JPG

~Cheryl

10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you Cheryl,

As usual you add some really great info to our discussions. I noted the gorham pieces when I was deciding to gamble on buying this set. I reached the conclusion that gorham must have copied some previous works, and hopefully this would turn out to be one of those previous works. I definitely agree that Poignand has a lot of similarity in the marks, thank you for sharing those.

I'm going to see if I can get lucky more search, but I may have to accept that origin and maker will not be perfectly matched.

11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lovely finds as always. I’d kill to see your hoard in person!

kyratango, Kathy Anderson and MrNate like this.
  12. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I would love to show you...or any silver enthusiast...None of my family has the passion for it like I do, so it's very satisfying to share pictures with all of you. If you saw the hoard, you'd quickly realize how many items never make it on the forum (but I should...it just takes time).

13. Roshan Ko

Roshan Ko Well-Known Member

YAY you are back and another great find.

I do look forward to your posts and finds. It is such a thrill

Once again congrats on a beautiful item.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and MrNate like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Can I throw into the mix that these are wildly popular in Spain?

15. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They are pretty! Will they be dinner party guests, as the auction link suggests? How will you display them?

MrNate and kyratango like this.
  16. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Figtree, right now my pieces get rotated on display..Typically I like to display recent pieces; the ones I'm truly in love with stay in the collection.

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted