Featured Piece by Piece art event

Discussion in 'Art' started by Bev aka thelmasstuff, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The Cotuit Center for the Arts does this every two years. They take an image of a famous painting, cut it into 16"x16" squares and give each artist a square. You aren't supposed to know what the final painting is until they put it all together. This one was too easy, but lots of fun. Reception was last night. I had square #25. Second row from the top, six panels in. A tree trunk. It's impossible to see on the poster, but some are 3D, some have glitter, a couple mosaics, one made of glass. Very creative.

They also have Sunday in the Park with George at their playhouse for a month.

19424035_10211089895301534_1203505301293096452_n.jpg

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Cool! Did you do yours in colored pencil?

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Noooo. Artists panels are a bit too shiny. I could have done it in pencil and glued the paper on the panel, but it's very time consuming so I used acrylics. Since we were told to be creative and not just reproduce the exact image, I used natural objects to apply the paint - beachcombing finds - tiny seashells and a crab claw. Then I used my fingertips for some of the final dots.

judy, Melissa Brown and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That sounds interesting - do you have a photo of just your square?

judy likes this.
  5. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

very interesting...thanks so much for sharing !

judy likes this.
  6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

That came out great! We had to do something like that in black and white back in college. Those who didn't calculate the edge pattern properly threw things off a bit though. It looks like if you give the project to professionals it makes all the difference!

judy likes this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

What a cool idea, Bev - and that one came out so well!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted