Pierced brass 'coasters'

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Ratsy Brown, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Hello

I posted this set of six coasters here a few years ago but never really found out what they are, or where they are from. I'm hoping some of the newer members will take a look and help me out.

I know they are not coasters, but I needed to call them something. They are 10.7cm in diameter.

Thanks for looking.

PXL_20211107_181959751_compress49.jpg PXL_20211107_180654833_compress94.jpg PXL_20211107_180708835_compress36.jpg PXL_20211107_180722873_compress22.jpg

antidiem and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love them, Ratsy. Something architectural, vent hole cover or something? Not that I see anything to connect them to something else.:confused:
    They look Orientalist.

Ratsy Brown and antidiem like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They don't have the proper holes to be nailed or screwed down, and brass and water don't mix. They must be components of some sort and not meant to be seen from the back. I can see an artisan embedding them in clear resin and making paperweights or even coasters out of them.

Ratsy Brown and bercrystal like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I wonder. Pierced discs to sit in a bowl containing pot pourri?

Ratsy Brown likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I was contemplating covers for air vent holes, rather than for water drainage.;) But like you, I immediately saw there was nothing to fix them to a wall, as I said before.

This one does have a way of fixing it to a wall.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Ratsy Brown and BoudiccaJones like this.
  6. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

I think there might me four small holes for nails, at the 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock positions. Frustrating they're not more clearly from one country or another, they just appear 'vaguely oriental'.

Screenshot_20211108-132327_compress97.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think you're right. If so from the position, these were meant to be nailed to something as decoration.

Draft saved Draft deleted