Featured Pink Glass Scent bottle?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KSW, May 14, 2023.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

@bercrystal please can you tell
    Me if you think this is a scent bottle?
    @Ownedbybear any thoughts please?
    Sadly missing it’s top and chipped but still a pretty thing paler at the base and deeper pink/red at the top.
    If it is a scent bottle, what type of top would it have had?
    Does it look Czech/Bohemian and also a rough age would be nice to know.
    No seams and 15cm tall.
    Thankyou :)
    0F57C862-068C-476A-935D-C59C6FBA51A4.jpeg BDFE5968-2DFD-46E8-A991-C1FC577CCBC5.jpeg C4F96D4D-A7C7-40D1-A0A5-0BB613E8E134.jpeg 400BCCEF-B00D-4DAA-A0E6-0D97B48FBE51.jpeg 57B8729F-ECBE-4C16-B907-409263B7A284.jpeg 49080B67-F85E-449A-9B5A-B84D4CD6CD00.jpeg B985A94A-B9E4-461E-B23B-1DDB724E70C4.jpeg 872AD483-E262-4EF9-96CE-3532D60F256E.jpeg

2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I do think it was a perfume bottle that has for some reason been stripped of its hardware including the metal collar.

I am always puzzled by the bottles I find that have no hardware & wonder when exactly it happened. Was it during the WWII effort to collect all manner of metal for the war effort or more recently possibly because someone thought it too damaged to save? :wacky::confused::confused:

I am not sure what to make of the finish on the bottle. I was expecting to see a polished bottom but it looks like it has some type of over-spray on the surface. :confused:

I would guess it could be Czech or possibly Austria but can't be sure of either. :rolleyes::bag:

Any Jewelry, pearlsnblume and *crs* like this.
  3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thanks @bercrystal
    The glass has a slightly iridescent sheen to it, I think that’s what you are seeing. I’ll give it a good wash although it may be in the glass.
    I wonder if it had a silver collar and some heathen stripped it for scrap?
    Would it have likely had a stopper or a cap?

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

It could have had sterling hardware but it was most likely gold-plated.

I don't think it was a commercial bottle so it would have had an atomizer or possibly a dauber which could have had some type of metal handle with a glass rod. I would lean towards an atomizer.

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  5. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm reminded of a Sherlock Holmes short story. A wealthy man is found dead in his house and there are odd things missing including the butler. They find the will and it turns out he left his gold to the butler who took it literally - he removed gold leaf from books, he took the gold fittings off the candlesticks, etc.

Bakersgma, bercrystal and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted