Pink Slag Glass Shade?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by NewEngland, Dec 20, 2017.

1. NewEngland

NewEngland Well-Known Member

Dear glass experts, I hope somebody can help to identify this piece of glass. It's pink and white glass, maybe end-of-day or slag glass, with ruffled top and folded pieces on the bottom with gold painted designs. On the back, there is a plaster plug. Could it be a shade for a wall sconce? I'm wondering how the plug attaches. It measures 9" high, 8 1/2" wide. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
    pinkslagglassA.JPG pinkslagglass4.JPG pinkslagglass3.JPG

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id say it sat in a stand ,maybe silver plated or brass. I get a newish chinese vibe from this.but I could be wrong.

judy likes this.
  3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

It would be spatter glass not slag. I agree likely china.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Not sure what that white plastic piece is. I don't think it is original to the glass.
    Not sure what you are measuring, but I don't think it is 9" high, maybe you meant wide or deep.

I think the splatter glass is older Bohemian and part of an epergne

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/173247916895990513/

cxgirl, judy and aaroncab like this.
  5. NewEngland

The plug piece on the bottom is made of plaster, not plastic. I'm thinking it might be part of an epergne as you suggest and the plaster piece is inserted into the base. I measured it as a wall sconce shade, hence height of 9", but it probably is meant to lie flat.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. George Nesmith

I do not think it is part of an epergne as there is no place for the horn to fit. For some reason the interior shot did not register with me. I believe the plaster is likely attached to the base as a plug to fit in a metal stand. This may be a make do to use a compote where the stem has broken off or it may have been made that way. With the interior gold decoration I am now think Bohemia in the 1920s or 50's. Similar was done in main land Italy in the 50-60s.

judy and NewEngland like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Is there any way this piece could have fit into one of those "fan" type lights that were popular for a while there? They had a night-light type bulb & were fitted with some type of "shade" - glass or otherwise - that sat in front?

Sort of like these:
    img0 (135).jpg img0 (137).jpg img0 (136).jpg

judy and NewEngland like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also think Bohemian. Would guess a compote with a sterling base that has been scrapped. Find a candlestick to mount as a replacement. Also possible that this was originally all glass and repaired as suggested above.

NewEngland likes this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

This is the type of epergne I was thinking of.

upload_2017-12-21_9-37-10.png

NewEngland, pearlsnblume and SBSVC like this.
  10. George Nesmith

A beautiful piece! Not what I think of as an epergne.

judy and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

It could also have been on a silver stand as just a salver or bride's basket.

@NewEngland - Would the plaster end fit in a sterling candlestick holder?
    You might be able to re purpose it.

Here are a couple more taken from the same pinterest page. Most are the traditional type.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/173247916895990513/

upload_2017-12-21_10-36-34.png

judy, pearlsnblume and NewEngland like this.
  12. NewEngland

It could work as a shade for a fan light - great idea!

SBSVC and judy like this.
  13. NewEngland

Those are beautiful - I wish I had all the pieces to go with this piece. And yes, it fits into a candlestick, but it looks strange. I think it will find its way to the church shop and some clever crafty person will be able to put it to good use. Thank you!

14. clutteredcloset49

Although it could be re purposed as that, the glass itself probably predates fan light.

Draft saved Draft deleted