Featured Plaited bracelet

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, May 28, 2019.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

F83BE8D2-2F2B-4BA7-BDFE-FC5D1803E5AB.JPG B3E2AB7A-13EB-4E8E-809C-89411C25B622.JPG 1FF5CB24-E5AF-4C26-AA99-A94C99F6491F.JPG 2A306D8E-6479-4158-8CF1-CDB34C591436.JPG C3EB891B-C8E5-4A03-8731-A02EEEC12ED9.JPG
    Any thoughts on this bracelet please oh wise ones?
    It tests as silver but not marked so I suspect maybe 800?
    The black threads are almost like hard rubber- vulcanite?. My only experience of vulcanite is it was used to make bits for horses but that's what it feels like.
    It's very dirty and I haven't had chance to clean it yet. Modern or some age?
    Thankyou :)

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

In photos black elements look like (deliberately) patinated/oxidized silver. It's meant to be that way, if you clean, some may come off.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I'll have a closer look under a higher mag loupe.

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not an old one. I've seen similar hook clasps on pieces from more than one country, so no idea where it came from.

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Might the dark elements be leather? It reminds me of contemporary "Viking/Celtic" style jewelry that combines silver and black leather, or Sami jewelry (although they use a wound pewter wire rather than silver).

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That was my first thought. They make silver jewellery as well, but as you said, those braided bracelets are not silver. And I have never seen them with links, so probably not Sami.

Sorry, totally useless post.:sorry: As you were.:D

7. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Elephant hair was quite popular, for a time... IDK if that's what you have.

It looks a little bumpy - may be chain or cord covered in some kind of rubber/plastic...

Christmasjoy, KSW, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

It does look like elephant hair!:cyclops::peeking:

9. Bronwen

I don't think elephant hair could have a rectangular cross section (see far left of pic) or produce those hot spots in the photo.

upload_2019-5-29_11-57-33.png

It was only from hot spots appearing in photos that I came to realize a recent intaglio acquisition has traces of gold in the impression too tiny for my unaided eyes to see.

10. Bronwen

My other argument is how much easier it would be for the maker to work with a single material instead of mixing in something with different properties.

Christmasjoy, kyratango and KSW like this.
  11. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Sorry Bronwen, what do you mean by hot spots?

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

Those white spots of glare where the reflectivity was higher than surroundings. I think they are exposed metal. :)

Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I think you may be the winner in this- I've just put a tiny scratch where it tucks under one end and it shows through white metal underneath.
    Still wonder where it's come from and how old it is but it may hold on to that secret for a while. I'm rather glad it isn't Heffie hair though.

14. scoutshouse

What I meant by "bumpy" - I could be wrong, but isn't plastic sleeved cord or chain readily available from jewelry suppliers - i couldn't find, but I don't know the proper name or category to look for...

Like covered electrical wire.

15. scoutshouse

Chain could be oxidized with liver of sulfur, but it looks like a coating... Japanned? (sp)

Christmasjoy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

My thinking is wire of this type, artificially oxidized:

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy and KSW like this.
  17. scoutshouse

Christmasjoy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's what it looks like to me, covered twisted wire, but wdik.

19. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Christmasjoy, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  20. Bronwen

Plastic coated wire. But that would be round in cross section, this is rectangular. Leather strips could make this shape, not elephant hair.

Think the wire samples in the photo are enlarged, not life size, & silver is quite soft. If amateurs can make jewellery by wire wrapping using the same type of wire, a more accomplished artisan can. For all I know, the braided bits are machine made & only other parts of the bracelet are hand work.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/539724416/silver-bracelet-wire-wrapped-jewelry

[​IMG]

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted