Featured Plastic or lacquer stacked box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Pat P, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

This stacked box looks like plastic, but just in case thought I'd see if anyone thinks it's possibly lacquer? Is there a way to test that won't damage the surface?

I assume it's Japanese based on the style, and thinking mid-20th century. Does that sound right?

I don't have a photo of the bottom, which is black and looks pretty much like the inside of the box except it has a gloss finish. There are no mold or maker's marks.

I have a little familiarity with Japanese and Russian lacquer items and this box doesn't seem like them at all. Any help welcome!

stacked-box-1.jpg stacked-box-2.jpg stacked-box-3.jpg stacked-box-4.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

They made these in both lacquer and plastic.
    About 6-8" diameter stacking jewelry or trinket box. 4" diameter was used for desk sets, paper clips etc.
    1970ish I would think.

Your pictures make me think plastic.

Pat P, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I bought a similar one in the 70s. Mine was lacquer.

Pat P, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

It's pretty.

Pat P and judy like this.
  5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, Pat, AJ, and Pearls. :)

The 70s sounds right to me. This box is about 4-1/2" in diameter, so based on what Pat said, a desktop box.

Below is a photo of an edge that has some chipping and tiny spots that look like bubbling. These spots circle around near the bottom of both trays and kind of look like what happens when a liquid drips a little.

Does the photo help in determining if it's plastic or lacquer?

japanese-box-03b.jpg

Any Jewelry and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The ones I've seen from the 80s were all plastic, some with a painted finish.

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Hmm, so does the chipped and bubble areas look like plastic, painted plastic, or lacquer?

Draft saved Draft deleted