Plated Brass Inkwell

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by kraftblue, Sep 23, 2014.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

I don't see any marks on this inkwell. Hope its not a new piece of junk. Does anyone recognize it?

Kath

ink1.JPG ink2.JPG ink3.JPG ink4.JPG ink5.JPG ink6.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I hope I'm wrong, but it has a made in India look to me. But don't give up the ship!

3. kraftblue

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't think so.... I'm seeing cast aluminum rather than plated brass. If that's the case it's not Indian, and I'd guess 1930s.

5. kraftblue

I did retake more pics. I went over this with silver polish as well. There are some wear spots. Would aluminum tarnish? Some parts cleaned off alot of black

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Ally does tarnish, or at least, goes dull and cloudy. Using the right polish will produce a lot of black, seemingly from nowhere.

7. kraftblue

Thanks for all the help. I will get my new pics done and see if I can list this thing

Kath

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's got a really organic line to it. Get a really good look at the inside just in case. It could be even older than the 30s but I'm no inkwell expert.

9. kraftblue

Thanks I will do that

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Does a magnet stick? That sure looks like a weld down the center of the bottom. I am seeing a crudeness here that belies an antique. Not sure exactly what you have.

11. kraftblue

Magnet does not stick to it

12. afantiques

Magnets are rarely helpful. Iron or steel are rarely plated with anything but chromium, unless there is intent to deceive as in 'gold' chains with fake hallmarks which are pretty common. Then , a pass with a magnet over the mixed scrap is essential.

A discreet scratch somewhere deep enough to go through any plating will show the underlying metal or if the item is solid.

An aluminium object is easy to spot, instictively it just feels too light to be anything else, in the same way that gold often feels just that bit heavier than you expected.

13. kraftblue

Hubby looked at it and said its plated brass. Its heavy and has a brass color spot on the underside

14. afantiques

That's that for ally, then.

There was a period when the new wonder metal was used for decorative objects.

15. kraftblue

I thought the shape was interesting. Didn't pay alot and I hope I can sell it. Thanks to everyone for all your input! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted