Pleas help identify 1938 bottles

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tomreisn, Nov 21, 2016.

1. tomreisn

tomreisn New Member

I will, if someone will approve me because its like 24 hours almost and noone seems to be there alive :-D Iam not able to logon after proper registration... I will never understand the need of manual approving because its totaly useless. If someone would like to, he can write a script that will even register some proper looking email address and the admin will never know if hes approving a man or a spam registred user.... But well I will wait :D

2. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

makes sense because the region they were found - former Sudetenland - was and still is known for its glassindustry. and there were parts of the German-speaking population in that area that wanted more autonomy in the then Czecho-Slovakia; under their leader Henlein they became more and more extreme and in the end they were integrated into the German system.
    it's also true that if those bottles would have been found - especially after the introduction of the Beneš decrees - most probably the whole family would have been killed or expelled.
    I still believe they are made much later because the plastic caps look newer. here another example that looks of younger date:
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/RARE-VINTAG...-Liquor-Decanter-9-5-Tall-L375K-/302376590146

3. tomreisn

tomreisn New Member

I will see what they will say in the museum. There is one another option - we have something similar like the "Pawn Stars" tv show here (its not exactly the same but something similar) so maybe there they will have idea who to contact and how to check if its authentic or not.

In my opinion there would be no reason to engrave the bottles later - exactly for the reasons you give (like it would be dangerously for the whole family even later due to the harsh communist regime). And if anyone would do it in that time of communist regime or later... why? Firstly its not something that you would sell easily and second the motive of merger of Austria and Germany does not seem so significant to put it there at all... But Iam really curious what I will find out about this...

4. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Faked items are often “over the top” with excessive markings; to me this one smells bad for that reason. In addition the themes are too mixed, the original bark bottle as sold, then all the Nazi stuff slapped on. Makes no sense!

If the bottle originally had a picture of Der Fuhrer, maybe the Nazi stuff would fit, but it doesn’t. Sorry, I’m convinced it is faked.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  5. tomreisn

tomreisn New Member

Ok they are people saying they believe its authentic... some believe its fake. I get it. My opinion is it could be both - for example consider that, that in that time when the Hitler started to seize power there was those swastika emblem almost everywhere on flags, postcards, coins, medals... and when Austria was joined with Germany, they have even medals taht has the same mottos as the bottles. And pictures inside are Austrian so it does make sense to me. Though on the other hand someone really could engrave it later and use that same text that were on the postcards and medals ... but the only thing I dont get is why someone whould do that... But I hope I will get to the bottom of this all sooner or later and I will let you know what I discovered :)

i need help and dgbjwc like this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

Another approach is to do a forensic exam of the text as applied to the glass. To me, the small details of the lettering are absolutely identical between one character and same character in another word. I mean exactly. Is that a bad sign? Yes in this case. It leaves open the possibility that the lettering was done by computer-controlled machines, either laser or glass-engraving machines. These machines weren’t really in use until the 1980’s. Why are the letters dark? Was a color-coat needed so the laser beam wouldn’t just pass through the glass? After engraving the color was removed except where it was burned into the glass. Something fishy here.

Fid and i need help like this.
  7. tomreisn

tomreisn New Member

Forensic sounds good I already tried contact again one guy, who deals with old glasss and bottles if he have any idea where I can verify the authenticity.

In case it will be really some fake I guess I can destroy it right away because it would be not cool to either own that kind of thing or try to sell it even with some label that its not authentic. If in any case it will be authentic as someone believe it could be, then it would be another matter, because it would be part of history (even though not very good one) but it could find some collector...

8. springfld.arsenal

Another part of the forensic exam is to look at the font aka typeface. It is possible that this particular German script font was developed recently, perhaps specifically for use in computer-controlled engraving. Someone will say German Script is centuries old, which is true, but this. Is one variant, German script isn’t just one style.

Draft saved Draft deleted