Featured Please advise on 3 mystery necklaces, one possibly Neiger?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lizzie, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

First up is an 17" with an older style spring ring clasp. Beads are a royal blue glass. Could it be Neiger brothers and Czech? (fingers crossed)

The second one is 30" with light blue cone glass beads. Czech and 1930's?

The third one is only 14" with garnet color glass beads which are strung on a fine chain. It is missing one bead cap near the clasp. The clasp is unusual. It is box style but the female end is shaped like a bullet. It may be a replacement. I am wondering where it was made and the age.

I can put up more pictures if needed. Thanks for looking. I appreciate you all and the knowledge you share.

Dark blue 1.jpg

Dark Blue 2.jpg

L blue 1.jpg

L Blue 2.jpg

Red1.jpg

Red 2.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The clasp on the red beads is an old style for sure. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if the beads were Czech, but I don't know where the necklace was made. The others either. The blue beads look Czech to me too, but I wouldn't think Neiger unless it's been severely altered.

stracci likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Thank you evelyb30. I was hoping the dark blue were Neiger as I had seen similar. But Czech is good too.

stracci likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Those double pyramid beads are certainly a Neiger shape. But they bought from many companies.

stracci, Any Jewelry and Dessert58 like this.
  5. Lizzie

Thanks OBB. If I am understanding you correctly, the Czechs made the necklace but didn't buy the beads from the Neiger Brothers?

stracci likes this.
  6. evelyb30

Backwards. Neiger was a Czech firm who used beads manufactured by other Czechs. Other companies used the same beads.

7. Lizzie

Got It! Thank you for the clarification. In my searching I found beads like the ones on the first necklace, same shape and symbols but I see what you mean about the style being so different from an actual NB piece.

stracci likes this.
  8. Curioser

Curioser Well-Known Member

I have seen the capped light blue beads used in older rosaries. That doesn't help with ID'ing origin, though. The chain lengths between the beads seem to vary. Is the overall design symmetrical?

stracci and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Lizzie

@Curioser I thought initially it might have started a rosary as it has groups of 10 beads (a decade in a rosary) but after researching, a rosary would have two beads separating the decades and this necklace has only one. Also it has a clasp which I think would be unusual for a rosary. Thanks for you input. I appreciate it.

stracci and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. evelyb30

All of the rosaries I've seen only have one bead separating the decades. Some use small medals, but it's usually a bead.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Thanks evelyb30. I stand corrected. I went back and search again (have no clue where I read two beads, maybe there are two prayers), and apparently the bead separating the decades is generally a larger bead. This could have been originally a rosary as it does have the 5 decades. If it has been converted to a necklace the clasp was placed where the crucifix should be hanging. Otherwise the placement of the center decade is wrong. The beads are all the same size. Obviously I just don't know. I have seen older Czech necklaces with these same type of beads and bead caps. It is a puzzle for sure.

Disclaimer, as you can tell I am not a Catholic.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. evelyb30

Me either, but the area I was raised in was a good 25% Catholic so I've picked a bit up by osmosis.

NanaB likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted