Please give advice for a vintage stained glass lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Sedona, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

BA15C903-B949-47DA-BFAB-AAE314B722DA.jpeg FFE0E185-49B1-46CF-AA88-1279A77F472D.jpeg 0A726564-9BAE-4B80-B63B-9FCFFBA4EE68.jpeg B21FE2E2-9F5E-455B-BB70-5B0510DBFD66.jpeg 4CCCA43C-4B42-4DA4-957D-7B1EC85A2682.jpeg 946F218B-EF2D-41CB-AB36-C26981882FE1.jpeg EC12F8C5-B8CB-43ED-BB45-065A1BECBDE2.jpeg 6E0822AF-1D01-4330-A62B-CDA9DB03A809.jpeg Hello everyone. My mother in law just gave me this vintage stained glass lamp. She bought it used about 50 years ago. We are in Southern California.

I can’t see a makers mark but maybe I can’t see it. It is covered with felt on the bottom. It is relatively petite, about 21” high and 8” across the base, and holds only 2 light bulbs. The finial is more decorative than others I have.

The metal is magnetic. My questions are where and when was this made, by whom?

Also, what kind of flower is it? A peony?

Beyond that, I am seeking your advice on maintenance. It’s been near the ocean the last several years, and I’m concerned about the effects of the salt air on the metal. I posted a closeup photo of the top of the shade. The cap and top of the shade look discolored inside and out (the whitish color).

i looked online for cleaning tips, and there are references to lemon oil furniture cleaner. Given the condition of the lamp, do you fellow antiquers have any specific recommendations for cleaning the glass shade, cap and base?

I have an excellent lamp repair shop in town that works on vintage lamps, so maybe this is a job for an expert.

I’m happy to take more photos. Sorry for the photo on its side. I take photos with my iPhone and iPad the correct way up, but for some reason they post sideways.

Thank you, all!

BE8BBB52-8AB6-42D8-90CF-2234BB407851.jpeg

Attached Files:

Houseful and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Here are some more close ups. The whitish color is seen on the outside of the shade. Salt air?

FE1564A2-6371-4D02-9123-BC6AE37662C2.jpeg 67B474A0-01D6-4E72-A343-9ABA3DF0E7B6.jpeg 7AC3D06A-C747-43AC-BA2E-0D319C760C33.jpeg

3. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Update, I took it to a repair shop that works with vintage and antique lamps. Other than rewiring it, they did not want to touch it. They said the base is pot metal, and that the cap on top is painted. They also said to clean the shade with water. They had no insight as to the maker or age.

I decided to hang onto it, until I find a lamp shop that is willing to deal with the shade issues. I decided to gently clean the base and the shade. I still couldn’t find any makers mark. Any ideas as to who made it? The edge along the bottom looks pretty unusual.

Also, does anyone know what kind of flower is being depicted? It would be nice to give the lamp a name.

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Hi Sedona:

Beautiful lamp. I think the folks at the repair shop had the right answers. You can gently clean the shade with soap and water as long as you're careful.

It's difficult to say who made it without a signature. I'd guess it was made in the northeastern U.S., simply because the odds favor it. I do think I've seen that base before, on lamps with other types of glass shades. I'd date it ca. 1925 or so. The flowers look like pink dogwood to me.

It's a very nice lamp that appears to be in good condition. Just give it a light cleaning and enjoy!

5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I agree with ghopper, damp rag to clean. Would guess it was a bit more recent than 20’s, need closeup of wire and brass bulb socket and chain with any writing (usually manufacturer stamped on socket).

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I have several antique lamps, and many of them have bases similar to yours.

I brighten them up with a bit of furniture oil...............doesn't take much. Soap and water cleans the shades............carefully.

If you're leary of removing the shade, a Windex wipe cloth will also clean the glass.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I use vaseline on the metal bases of lamps epescially if they contain any paint. I salve it on let it sit for an hours and wipe it off then a good wash up. It cleans the dirst and grime but does not touch the paint or patination.
    greg

judy and Houseful like this.
  8. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thanks, these are all excellent suggestions.

I did, very carefully, clean the shade with a gentle damp cloth (and used a tips in the corner of the glass). The shade looks so much better. I also cleaned the base up.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted