Please Help ID Amazing inlaid chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Rkowalczykjr, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Rkowalczykjr

Rkowalczykjr New Member

Hi everyone, this is my first post to a forum ever. About a year ago I found this chair at a small estate sale near me. Since then I have had trouble finding more info about its age, origins, style, etc. I think it is from India. Any insight would be huge. Thanks.

Attached Files:

KSW and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Some people say Anglo Indian - I sold a similar chair a while back with bone and mother of pearl inlay and it was Moorish.....

4. Any Jewelry

Anglo-Indian refers to a the colonial period and made for use by colonials. I don't know about the period of this one, but they are still making similar furniture in Hoshiarpur.
    The shape is reminiscent of ancient Egyptian chairs.;)
    Sounds like it could have been Syrian or Iraqi.
    Moorish is a very general term, which covers a range of styles from the Atlantic coast of Morocco to the Arab Peninsula in Asia. It is even used for some Southeast Asian styles.

5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

KSW, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

The Empire style was popular throughout the Western world and in other parts of the world as well. Yes, Pondicherry was one of the French territories in India, but they make lavishly carved furniture, not inlaid.

KSW, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Your chair looks quite modern. Butler Specialty Company, a furniture company in Chicago, carries a variety of pieces decorated with bone inlay, probably all made in India (although they do not specify). I do not see the exact same chair in their current inventory, but here is a similar one of theirs:
    upload_2021-1-6_9-36-4.jpeg
    https://www.butlerspecialty.net/victorian-garden.html

KSW and laura9797 like this.
  8. Rkowalczykjr

Rkowalczykjr New Member

Wow, thank you for the quick replies!! I have zero experience with antiques.

I feel that it is going to waste in my garage, and I'd like it to find a home where it can truly be appreciated. It must have taken someone a great deal of time and skill to decorate something so ornate. To the right person, I'd be glad to donate it.

Do you have a suggestion for how I might go about finding someone who would be interested in a chair like this? If you suggest posting it online, how should I identify the listing, so that someone searching for it would be able to find it? Additionally, what is a good price to sell it for, to ward off the freebie scavengers, that is well below the usual cost of similar items?

KSW likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

put it on the curb...it's be snatched up before you can get back to the house........

Fid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted