Please help identify this metal wall pocket...

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by staarfyyre, Apr 26, 2018.

1. staarfyyre

staarfyyre New Member

I have a good one for you, my new dear friends.. this wall pocket has religious symbolism on it.
    Its about 10" tall.
    Its made of some metal, painted silver on the back, and has some mark i cant make out on the back.
    I appreciate any insight you might have. 20180426_165347[1].jpg 20180426_165220[1].jpg

Huntingtreasure, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The partial mark in the lower half of your picture appears, in part, to include a crowned rose, which was a not uncommon European mark on pewter. Hard to say where and when.

You might want to use "lavabo" instead of wallpocket when searching.

Huntingtreasure and Bronwen like this.
  3. Bakersgma

I wonder whether this was used for holy water, given the religious design.

4. Bakersgma

5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I agree and think you are probably right. I think they are called holy water fonts.

6. staarfyyre

staarfyyre New Member

Omg, i love this website! Thank you guys so much!

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, for holy water. The style could be Central European.
    Symbolism, starting at the top, the holy ghost, God the Father, Jesus, and the Lamb of God, the font is surrounded by angels.
    "The Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world" is a term from the Gospel of st John. It refers to Jesus as a sacrificial lamb sent by God so his sacrifice can redeem the world.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I like the effect of the cherubs drawing back the curtains on the Passion Play.

Huntingtreasure and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Especially the one lower right, who is doing a great balancing act on the edge of the font.
    The Lamb of God looks a bit like a dachshund, but I'm sure his legs are longer.

Huntingtreasure, judy and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

What's in front of Agnus Dei? Can't make it out from photo nor figure it out from conventions for crucifixion scenes.

Huntingtreasure and judy like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

It is the Book with Seven Seals from the Apocalypse/Revelation of st John. The banner of victory is resting on the book.
    The lamb with the banner of victory on the book could allude to the second coming of Christ after the Seventh Seal of the book has been opened and fully revealed.
    This is complex theological matter, with extreme and colourful symbolism. Here is my very concise explanation:
    In the Apocalypse the seals of the book (scroll) are opened one by one.
    The first six seals reveal the hardship, atrocities and pestilence of worldly life.
    The seventh seal starts with silence (absence of God?), and then continues with more doom and gloom, severe punishment of wrongdoers and heavenly reward for those who have obeyed God's will. After all that has been accomplished, Christ returns in all his glory and 1000 years of peace commence.

12. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

...waiting...

13. Bronwen

I kept thinking it looked like one of the tablets for the commandments, but of course that would be out of place here. It does seem to go with the St. John allusion, so, Revelation it is.

14. Any Jewelry

I think we're still going through the first six seals.:arghh:

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  15. Bronwen

Then what?

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  16. Any Jewelry

I don't think John's angel could count beyond 1000.;)
    It is symbolic for eternity. The entire apolcalypse is symbolism, including the wonderful descriptions of the gemstone mandorlas surrounding Christ. Great for anyone interested in gems.:)

Huntingtreasure, aaroncab and Bronwen like this.
  17. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

18. Any Jewelry

It is the same model font and the marks look the same to me as well, even the F.
    Great hunting, Hunting.:playful:
    upload_2018-4-27_17-58-54.jpeg
    upload_2018-4-27_17-57-9.jpeg

Huntingtreasure and aaroncab like this.
  19. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

That’s teamwork!
    The ad claims this to be from
    Mid 1900s, maybe the mark can help to determine that.
    I saw one where the seller claimed theirs was from the VATICAN ! :hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Well, the Vatican is a small city state, so technically it could be from the Vatican. Just not from the Pope's quarters.
    There are many private rooms and chambers, who knows what those priests, nuns and Swiss Guards keep in there. But expect to see some very ordinary things. And they also get presents from their family, etc.
    [​IMG]

And then there are many apartments of civilians, also inside Vatican city.
    Via della Conciliazione, at the end Saint Peter's, on both sides are the apartments of civilians, regular families:
    [​IMG]

Huntingtreasure and aaroncab like this.