Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain
>
Please help identify this toby jug (probably tobacco jar)
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Darkwing Manor, post: 4275080, member: 738"]It is not a Toby mug or jug because there is no handle. I would call it a Victorian-era bisque covered caricature jar, probably a humidor, possibly German or Austrian. I tried Napolean, dandy, egg man, soldier, fat boy, and got no hits. The closest I could find was this unidentified jar. The marks might be similar, but still unreadable, sorry. "The vintage bisque humidor is a small roly poly figure of a Tyrolean man wearing a feathered cap, lederhosen, and sporting a handlebar mustache, worn mark on the underside, 5 ¼"H." This one with a later Staffordshire Toby covered humidor sold for $23 the pair. <a href="https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/316/1400/lot/49981" target="_blank" class="externalLink ProxyLink" data-proxy-href="https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/316/1400/lot/49981" rel="nofollow">https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/316/1400/lot/49981</a> [ATTACH=full]341506[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]341507[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Darkwing Manor, post: 4275080, member: 738"]It is not a Toby mug or jug because there is no handle. I would call it a Victorian-era bisque covered caricature jar, probably a humidor, possibly German or Austrian. I tried Napolean, dandy, egg man, soldier, fat boy, and got no hits. The closest I could find was this unidentified jar. The marks might be similar, but still unreadable, sorry. "The vintage bisque humidor is a small roly poly figure of a Tyrolean man wearing a feathered cap, lederhosen, and sporting a handlebar mustache, worn mark on the underside, 5 ¼"H." This one with a later Staffordshire Toby covered humidor sold for $23 the pair. [URL]https://www.aspireauctions.com/#!/catalog/316/1400/lot/49981[/URL] [ATTACH=full]341506[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]341507[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain
>
Please help identify this toby jug (probably tobacco jar)
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...