Please help identify - typesetter's table?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by jhawkr2019, Jan 28, 2019.

1. jhawkr2019

jhawkr2019 New Member

Can anyone identify this item? I'm told it was used for typesetting or platemaking for printing. The sides and rounded part drop down. I'm told the rounded part was where the individual would sit. Thanks!

Attached Files:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, jhawkr2019. It's hard to tell from the picture how large or small this thing is. Can we get some measurements please?

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Also, are they any markings on the bottom? Can we get a photo of the bottom? What is the center section covered with?

5. jhawkr2019

jhawkr2019 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I can't find any markings and I forgot to take a photo of the bottom. (This belongs to my parents, who have had it for years.) It's about 30-31 inches high and about 31.5 inches across with the sides up. The center portion is a soft felt-type material and is about 12 inches across. I've attached a few more photos.

Attached Files:

i need help likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If the center piece of the top is 12 inches across, I have a tough time believing that a person would sit on the round piece. At least not an adult. A child perhaps.

i need help and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2019-1-29_19-11-45.jpeg

J...if I can do this you can do this......lots of young folks here on phart smones...& need the full image pics...

yes, it does look rigged to be a seat....a small uncomfortable seat !!
    OR...to hold a heavy weight bowl of.........something???

jhawkr2019 and i need help like this.
  8. komokwa

It is ' unusual '............2 the MAX !!

i need help likes this.
  9. jhawkr2019

jhawkr2019 New Member

I agree that the "seat" seems too small. Also, I'm not sure that the soft material in the center would support typesetting. I also wondered whether the rounded part could hold a bucket or pail. When I tried uploading the image for an online search, it identified it as "plywood." :). I'll take more photos and keep searching. Thanks for helping me try to figure this out!

10. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Looks like a cobblers bench, can’t say I’ve seen one with this configuration but that’s what it reminds me of.

11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I also think a cobblers or other type of craftsperson's bench. Think the round part is to hold small items or tools. The soft working surface is to protect the object worked on from extraneous damage. Such surfaces are often used when doing metalwork.

12. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

59A017F0-DBCE-4F94-81E1-28E72393457F.jpeg This is a typesetter station. My Dad was a compositor in a printers. I can’t see how your item would have served the purpose of setting for books or newspapers very well.

13. komokwa

That seat like shelf must have held some weight....just by the way it's re-enforced ..& it's own thickness.
    I'd surmise.....:rolleyes::)

jhawkr2019 and i need help like this.
  14. jhawkr2019

jhawkr2019 New Member

This is all great input -- thanks for setting me on the right path. I'll keep you posted if I find out more.

komokwa, Houseful and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted