Featured Please help identify vanity?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Clairepowell3737, Oct 23, 2020.

1. B656759C-C6C9-4DF6-8E42-87E8CD898D60.jpeg I can’t find anything on this table I just finished. Someone had chalk painted the whole thing green. I felt like I struck gold and I stripped the first layer of paint back. Unfortunately any markings went with the green chalk paint. It’s beautiful and the craftsmanship is unlike a thing I’ve seen before. The handles have a small face that’s nailed in first, then the handle itself is screwed in bolted down and then have a small covering on the back to prevent snags. Other than the unique handles I can’t find anything majorly unusual beyond the craftsmanship of the piece itself.

Attached Files:

J Dagger, lovewrens, stracci and 7 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Burr walnut. Can you show the innards, hinges, drawers, that sort of thing please? my inital thought is Edwardian. You've done a nice job there.

Green chalk paint. No words.

3. 88A36734-00E7-4E2C-98B2-A7AFA35D440E.jpeg

4. That’s literally all there is. No other hardware or markings. There was an attached trifold mirror that was rectangular from my recollection.

5. Van_Poperin

Van_Poperin Well-Known Member

Yikes! I’m pro up-cycling usually but this was a bad paint call...

6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

TY for rescuing this piece from that horrible paint job!

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Why, oh why would anyone want to cover that beautiful burl veneer in that hideous paint??????????????

stracci and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

<shudders> I feel faintly nauseous.

You must have had a lovely surprise to find burr walnut underneath the unspeakableness of that paint. I'm sticking with early 20th, anyhow.

Have you still got the mirror? And what country is this in?

stracci and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous burl/burr. A million thanks, @Clairpowell3737 , on behalf of all antique furniture lovers everywhere for your wonderful restoration!

10. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Perhaps a Shabby Chic dealio gone very wrong.
    Wonderful refinish job, Well Done! Very attractive burl.

11. Maybe and I’m in lower Alabama USA

12. Thank you. It’s actually my friends piece. I just redid it for her. She purchased around 2010 in Pensacola Florida for $150ish. It was solid green. No idea what was underneath. It’s been used lately as a child’s art desk. Recently while visiting and looking at the latest art work a piece of paint chipped back. I immediately said you have to let me redo this. I think it may be the equivalent of striking furniture gold...and boom it was.

Pieces like this where you see the care in the details is like bringing history back to life. Super happy to see this restored

13. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Kudos to you for stripping off that horrific blue/green paint!
    It's a gorgeous piece!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

Incredible piece and thank goodness the green spit up came off lol

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ta. It looked as though it might be British, which is why I asked. If you can find the mirror, it's worth reinstating it.

Clairepowell3737 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted