Featured Please help me find out any details about this mirror!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by JP007, Mar 5, 2023.

1. JP007

JP007 Member

Hello again! Here's what I know: In 1990, when my stepdad was trying to get my mom's attention and ultimately marry her, he bought her this mirror and a big high back chair. I don't know how much it cost, but I know from my mom's reaction and reading between the lines that it was a lot. The mirror part is 3'2" wide x 4' high. With the frame it's 3'7" wide x 6' high at its highest point. It's heavy. Somewhere between 60 and 70 lbs. It's very old. I think I remember them saying it was from the 1800's sometime and I believe it. Some of the parts are loose and there are some pieces of the wood missing, but overall it still feels very sturdy. If I had a money tree, I'd take it to someone and let them restore it. It's kind of grown on me over the years. If this thing is hanging in a room, it's definitely the first place your eyes go. I've had people tell me to take it to an antique consignment shop downtown, and even though I fully understand how helpful it is to be able to do it like that, there's something about the 30%+ that I can't bring myself to swallow. I may have to learn a hard lesson. Anyway, anything that anyone can tell me about this mirror would be very much appreciated. If you need more pictures let me know. Please excuse my dirty floors and probably lots of other stuff, my entire house is a work in progress right now.

This is the closest that I have found online. This one is beautiful in my opinion...and I'm not a fan of gold. https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/large_regency_ebonised__gilt_overmantle_mirror/as527a856

MOMS MIRROR 5 TOP.jpg

MOMS MIRROR2.jpg
    MOMS MIRROR8.1.jpg

MOMS MIRROR4 BOTTOM.jpg MOMS MIRROR 6 BACK.jpg MOMS MIRROR7BACK1.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

kyratango, Aquitaine and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. komokwa

ps.....the pics are fine........ wood floors are fine.........
    ( & better than you standing there in your PJ's....:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:...:eek:...)

lesson learned !! ;);)..:)

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. komokwa

yes.....sometimes the cost to get another to sell something is a bitter pill......but for big items...... how would u ship it......or would u want buyers at your door ...??:eek:

so......swallow hard..........on occasion !! ;)...:sorry::sorry:

JP007 likes this.
  5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

If you live in U.S.A. and need to ship it then go to uship.com. You can find just about anyone who can freight this piece. Sometimes it is a couple people with a uhaul moving and will pick and up deliver if they are going through that area for some cash. We use it successfully at our auction house.

JP007 likes this.
  6. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    kyratango, Ghopper1924, JP007 and 2 others like this.
  8. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Wow-Your Stepdad really knew how to woo a lady !

kyratango and JP007 like this.
  9. JP007

JP007 Member

I'm gonna word it differently:angelic:, but I'm starting to think it's my best option. No, I don't want buyers at my door:stop::stop::stop:, and I don't want to mess with having to ship it or any of the things really. I just want it gone.

komokwa likes this.
  10. JP007

JP007 Member

Wow, that is a huge mirror. Floor to ceiling. Yeah, the fact is I need to let someone that's experienced help me do this so I don't make any careless mistakes. I just don't wanna share the profit LOL. Na, I'd rather have whatever percent and have it gone.

komokwa likes this.
  11. JP007

JP007 Member

I don't know how much actual game he had, but he had his own business at 29 and therefore his own money and he was doing well for himself. And he was persistent.

kyratango likes this.
  12. JP007

JP007 Member

Thanks everyone for the help. I think I'm gonna let the professionals handle this one. Maybe a few others too.

komokwa likes this.
  13. bosko69

You can always post it on Face Book/Craigslist or Ebay & list as 'Local Pickup Only'. Meet in a very public location-Cash Only. and have a few Buds come along.
    PS-A local Dealer would only give You 25 % of resale,on a miraculous day maybe more.

JP007 likes this.
  14. JP007

JP007 Member

What you described is exactly how I transact 90% of the stuff I sell. I just don't want people I don't know coming to my house. Or knowing where I live.There are too many doped up lunatics:wacky::wacky::wacky:, especially meth heads:wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:, and I don't wanna have to do anything dramatic. People are generally just nuts now! Obviously not everyone, but tell me I'm wrong! What I was referring to by "let the pros..." is just that I was going to leave it at the antique mall on consignment. I'll likely have it on Marketplace until then. I'm an hour from Dallas, so it'll reach a big audience if it gets promoted. I do need to move it and faster is better, but I'll probably allow myself a little more discretion on this one. Truth be told, I'd rather keep it and someday get it restored than let it go for a few hundred. A few thousand - another story.

komokwa likes this.
  15. JP007

JP007 Member

You are talking about yourself or a hypothetical situation, right? I looked at my pics and I don't think I'm missing anything, LOL. It's been a long day for a Sunday.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

yer fine....& I'm just goofing around !!!
    No worries ....;)....:happy:

kyratango likes this.
  17. bosko69

I won't even have Garage Sales at my house-all it takes is one 'Tweaker'. I might sell at a large Flea Market,mostly You'll get cheapskates like me-but You'll keep your anonymity & move stuff.

18. JP007

JP007 Member

It's not like it was, even when I was a kid - a young adult - in the 90's. I do like flea markets, but my last
    experience was not that great. There was a language barrier when I called and I understood that they had tables there that we could use. They didn't, and some lady let me borrow a coffee table. It literally looked like we just smashed out the windows on some cars and grabbed a bunch of random stuff to peddle LOL. I didn't think it through and the lack of organization didn't help. I can't deal with tweakers though. I'm no angel or should I say I didn't used to be an angel when I was younger, but those guys :wideyed::wideyed::wideyed:...can't deal with that.

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  19. JP007

JP007 Member

I figured, just hadda be sure. Please continue to goof around.:D

BoudiccaJones, kyratango and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted