Featured Please help me identify this flow blue plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bathsheba, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Bathsheba

Bathsheba New Member

I have this 7" ironstone plate and cannot identify either the maker or the pattern. I looked at every flow blue image on the Internet (it sure felt like it), checked at thepotteries.org website, and consulted my copy of the Collector's Encyclopedia of Flow Blue by Mary Frank Gaston, but I am coming up empty. Anyone?
    front of plate 480.jpg close up.jpg

Born2it, KSW, moreotherstuff and 3 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

KSW, judy, Bathsheba and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I think this one is known as the 'temple pattern', although I can't track it down in my references for some reason.

Edit: To add original was by Podmore and Walker, this looks like a different version by another maker.

4. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

5. Bathsheba

Bathsheba New Member

Thank you for your response. I have the Podmore and Walker Temple plate in a similar size and the design is quite different, especially on the rim. Different mark as well. I suspect that mine is also early (1840s-1850s).

KikoBlueEyes, KSW and judy like this.
  6. Bathsheba

Bathsheba New Member

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

So..... after looking at temple and pagoda patterns I decided to try to read the mark. I swear it looked to me like it says Albany No 174 then initials something G. Albany doesn't really make sense to me.

Godden's had a vaguely similar cartouche for Benjamin Godwin with BG so I went off looking at Godwin's.

I found this with the right pattern in the photo but a very blurry mark photo. They say it's Albany. I don't know, can't find this Albany in my Dictionary of Blue & White or elsewhere. Anyway, here it is, correct or not.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/albany-design-plate-john-robert-160577834

upload_2021-9-4_14-19-21.png

upload_2021-9-4_14-21-6.png

A lovely plate in the 'Albany' design (No 110)in good condition by John & Robert Godwin who traded between 1834-1866 who traded from their Sneyd Green, Corbridge, Staffordshire address. The plate measures 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" x 7 1/4" x 7 1/4

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    KikoBlueEyes, KSW, crowleys and 7 others like this.
  8. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Usually I would just click the Like button, but that is really awesome, SIS.

KikoBlueEyes, KSW, dgbjwc and 5 others like this.
  9. Bathsheba

Bathsheba New Member

Say_it_slowly: Thank you! I also thought I saw Albany when I adjusted the picture, but could not even make that much out when I looked at the actual plate, and any Albany designs I saw were just not right. I also thought it might say ENG under the cartouche, but I did not want to influence anyone if I was wrong with these suspicions, which was the case for the ENG part. I am so happy to finally have some information about this pretty little plate. I applaud you!

KikoBlueEyes, KSW, judy and 3 others like this.
  10. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

Hello I’m new here to the site. Can anyone tell me how to post photos??I would love to find answers on my set of antique flow blue inherited from grandmother who purchased them in England in the 1950’s. I’d like to know if the marks on bottom mean anything & if the items have any value?

KikoBlueEyes, KSW and judy like this.
  11. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

Please assist in identifying this. Any help is greatly appreciated

KSW and judy like this.
  12. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

Any help to identify is greatly appreciated

13. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

[​IMG]

14. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

15. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

I give up! Tried posting photos & they don’t seem to show up

16. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

Hi Judy do any pics show up in my post

17. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Stefanie! Welcome to Antiquers........:cat:

If your photos are on your phone, you can email them to yourself choosing Medium. They should then be the correct size to upload here.

There is another way, and hopefully someone will post directions.

Someone will be able to help you.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  18. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

19. Stefanie

Stefanie New Member

THANK YOU!

20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

You're welcome.

You'll succeed!:cat:

Any Jewelry likes this.