Please help on identifying this photograph , and the persons on it .

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by ABDELBARI, Jan 5, 2022.

1. ABDELBARI

ABDELBARI Member

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Yvonne C. Sherman (May 3, 1930 – February 2, 2005 in Colorado Springs, CO) was an American Figure skater. She won the gold medal at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships twice in ladies' Single skating and once in Pair skating with partner Robert Swenning. Sherman competed in both disciplines in the 1948 Winter Olympics.

Robert Joseph "Bob" Swenning
    (July 25, 1924 – November 8, 2012) was an American figure skater. He was born in Greenwich, Connecticut. He originally competed in ice dance, winning the gold medal at the 1945 United States Figure Skating Championships with partner Kathe Mehl Williams. He later switched to pairs skating and teamed up with Yvonne Sherman. The duo won the 1947 U.S. title, placed fourth at the 1948 Winter Olympic Games, and finished fifth at that year's World Figure Skating Championship. He later paired with Agnes Tyson and won the bronze medal at the 1955 U.S. Championships.

Figtree3, antidiem, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  3. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

It's all right there on the back -- American figure skaters Yvonne Claire Sherman(n)
    and Bob Swenning, training and posing in St Moritz in 1947.

Sniped! Curse my slow typing...

Figtree3, antidiem, komokwa and 4 others like this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Copy/paste beat you to the punch!

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I just saw it, but... same answer. The info is right on the back of the photo.

Figtree3 and antidiem like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Perhaps he was hoping that somebody would translate the back. French is not one of my languages, so I can't do that. Also it is hard to read due to the writing, stamps, and faded print. I see "ST MORITZ" on the back, so this may be where it was taken. I can't see a date on the back but it should be between 1947-1954, based on dates in the biographies copied and pasted above.

Nice photo, and I wasn't familiar with those two!

sabre123 likes this.
  7. evelyb30

I do read French. It flat out gives their names, exact ages and says it's from the St Moritz Olympic games. Nails the date down pretty well. The overstamped mark also says it was used in Le Journal D'Egypte, i.e. an Egyptian newspaper, making it a file photo.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Yes, I see. 1948 it is!
    I had forgotten the Winter Olympics took place there.

9. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

As exact a complete translation as we can provide given our lousy French
    (straight A's for three years in high school, but that was fifty years ago):

The American hopefuls in
    figure skating
    - - - - - - - - -
    Yvonne Claire Shermann (17 years)
    and Bob Swenning (23 years)
    American competitors in
    figure skating during
    the Winter Olympic Games
    which will open soon
    in St Moritz are one of the
    couples who are training with
    the most relentless
    preparation
    The Egyptian Journal

Yvonne Claire Shermann and
    Bob Swenning execute a
    graceful figure during
    their training for St Moritz

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  10. evelyb30

Looks about right. I've also noticed the OP hasn't been back.

Draft saved Draft deleted