Please help on reading handwriting letter added to this magazine

Discussion in 'Books' started by ABDELBARI, Jul 15, 2018.

1. ABDELBARI

ABDELBARI Member

Please help on reading handwriting letter of 4 pages added to this magazine . 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Second page

"I enclose cheque for 30/- "

30/- denotes 30 Shillings

Sorry have not got time to decipher the rest, other handwriting solvers will be along soon.

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

"I enclose cheque for 30/- subscription for maga(?) (magazine maybe?), commencing August 1924(?) and trust you can forward the magazine to the ... address until I can .... for a permanent ....."

I will leave the rest to others, but at least a start has been made. It seems the letter is all about a magazine and a subscription to it.
    Also some details about the writer's personal circumstances, I notice he served in Palestine.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Interesting that it says "Registered for transmission by Canadian Magazine Post". Suggests the this copy originally belonged to a Canadian.

Lots of gaps:

I enclose cheque for 30/-- subscription for Maga, commencing August 1924[?] and trust you can forward the magazine to the other address until I can [ ] [ ] a permanent one.

I have read many appreciations of Maga, as reproduced [ ] [ ] [ ] and have often intended to add mine, for what it is worth.

I have been taking the Maga for [ ] years (thanks to WH Smith Sons, etc – at home, having just left England) and [ ] [ ] [ ] to [ ] intact, I took it in duplicate.

I was serving in Palestine, Syria, and, in spite of the trials of heat (particularly in the desert) and [ ] [ ], there were always a large number of men of all tastes in my company who would volunteer to jettison [ ] clothing to carry a copy of Blackwood’s Magazine, which circulated thus for many a month. In fact, I have known men, arriving in hospital from the line, found to have [ ] in their kit a copy months old, which had been through many hands after leaving mine, and when myself was wounded, the copy I myself [ ] have taken [ ] [ ] [ ] , because it is known how highly valued they were.

[ ] [ ] who perhaps somewhat [ ] nevertheless speak for themselves, and if [ ] to this Maga could now be quite incredible, you will understand when forwarded my subscription to insure regular delivery, which might be jeopardized if [ ] it locally here.

(WH Smith was/is a bookstore chain, so the writer was initially buying the magazine off the rack.)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Gap filling:

I enclose cheque for 30/-- subscription for Maga, commencing August 1924[?] and trust you can forward the magazine to the other address until I can [give ] [you ] a permanent one.

I have read many appreciations of Maga, as reproduced [active ] [ ] [ ] and have often intended to add mine, for what it is worth.

I have been taking the Maga for [ten ] years (thanks to WH Smith Sons, etc – at home, having just left England) and [during ] [the ] [ war] to [secure my copies ] intact, I took it in duplicate.

I was serving in Palestine, Syria, and, in spite of the trials of heat (particularly in the desert) and [long ] [lmarches ], there were always a large number of men of all tastes in my company who would volunteer to jettison [food or ] clothing to carry a copy of Blackwood’s Magazine, which circulated thus for many a month. In fact, I have known men, arriving in hospital from the line, found to have [ ] in their kit a copy months old, which had been through many hands after leaving mine, and when myself was wounded, the copy I [ missed receiving ] were taken [care ] [of for ] [me ] , because it is known how highly valued they were.

[ ] [ ] who perhaps somewhat [ ] nevertheless speak for themselves, and if [ ] to this Maga could now be quite incredible, you will understand when forwarded my subscription to insure regular delivery, which might be jeopardized if [I ordered ] it locally here.

Last photo is a bit blurred.

moreotherstuff and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted