Featured Please Help - Royal Doulton Jardiniere 'Kia Ora' Maori Art

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JJBird, Jan 2, 2021.

1. JJBird

JJBird New Member

I have just joined the forum as I was hoping for a bit more information on a Royal Doulton Jardieniere which was my fathers. I have attached some photos showing the makers marks.

It is about 190mm tall and 205mm diamter. From what i understand it is a Maori/Kiki mask design from New Zealand.

Any information that anyone can offer would be most appreciated. Many thanks in advance!

IMG_20210102_171444_483.jpg IMG_20210102_171447_256.jpg IMG_20210102_171449_553.jpg IMG_20210102_171451_185.jpg

2. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, @JJBird -- It's very attractive. I'm not knowledgeable on this topic, but I'm sure somebody else here will be.

i need help and komokwa like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, JJ, and welcome.
    The mask is a Tā Moko, a New Zealand Maori facial tattoo.
    The scroll elements around the top are also Maori designs.
    Kia ora is a Maori greeting.

4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 2, 2021
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

6. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

7. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I admin a Doulton Lambeth group, and one of these showed up a while back. They're super things. Yes, Maud Bowen for the main decorator, I'd need to check who the assistant was - lookd like nd. 6783 is a pattern number.

It's also, strictly speaking, Doulton Lambeth as opposed to Burslem.

9. Ownedbybear

Bowden. Fingers aren't working. I'll dig out the other mark.

10. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

It's beyond nice. It's lovely.

JJBird, pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Oh My! That's a wonderful pot, so beautiful. That's also a handsome illustration @Any Jewelry posted.

Any Jewelry, JJBird and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. JJBird

JJBird New Member

Thank you all ever so much for your help, I had been trying to research but I wasn't as ever into antiques and collectables as my Dad so working out the makers marks, etc has been quite difficult.

It really is a very beautiful piece of pottery! Very good condition with no chips or cracks, just some minor scuffs on the inner rim from where plant pots and other items have been placed inside.

It always sat on a jardiniere stand at the entrance to our front room, and for years it was a running joke that when my dad's mate and kids (Think Jeremy Kyle and you're a tenth of the way there!), Dad would always take it off the stand and put it somewhere safe and out the way. One day Dad forgot about it and his mate moved it for him!!

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  13. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

who is Jeremy Kyle

14. JJBird

JJBird New Member

Apologies, he was the English version of Jerry Springer.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  15. Ownedbybear

hd for Violet Hayward I think - it's the closest and fits the dates for Maori Ware. First produced in 1906, revived in 1925. Main mark on yours is the earlier version.

Any Jewelry and JJBird like this.
  16. gag-m

gag-m New Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, @gag-m !

I think you included your comment into a quote. I’m reposting, except offers to buy/sell must be made via Private Conversation
    “I have just joined the forum as I was hoping for a bit more information on a Royal Doulton Jardieniere which was my fathers. I have attached some photos showing the makers marks.

Kia Ora range produced by Royal Doulton for New Zealand at the time of the 1906/07 Christchurch exhibition. Mainly collected by us kiwis. Recent one sold here on auction for about NZ$300.00. .”

Draft saved Draft deleted