Featured Please Help to I.D. mysterious silver item. Part of a Set.

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Shangas, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I've never bought a piece of silver where I didn't know what it was, or didn't eventually find out after a bit of researching.

But this time - I am completely stumped. I don't even know where to start searching. I don't know what it is. The seller didn't know what it is. And I don't even know how to look for it online because I don't even know what it does!

277243298_393803259412626_2459002413684209612_n.jpg

Here is what I know:

1). They are a matching set. They are both sterling silver, both of the same style, both with matching, identical hallmarks.

2). They are hallmarked for BIRMINGHAM, 1852. Neither of them have duty marks.

3). Maker's mark of (D & F) inside circles, which is Deakin & Francis.

4). The brushy-thing is a pen-wipe, for cleaning ink off of dip pen nibs and fountain pen nibs.

As they are a matching set, the other item MUST have something to do with desks, or writing, or correspondence or something of that kind - but I just cannot figure it out! They were clearly BOTH designed to sit on someone's desk, side by side - and perform some sort of function together. But I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what that might be.

The center of the mystery item is soft, and spongy, kind of like soft cork, or sponge, or something like that. Natural material. It's a sort of medium-dark brown.

It does not look like it has been damaged, or repaired, in any way.

What the hell is it, and what do it do!?

I'm absolutely clueless.

HELP!!

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Possibly a stamp moistener.

3. Shangas

That's what I thought - but the base underneath is paper...wouldn't that get wet and peel off?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  4. Shangas

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Lovely mystery and fantastic description and explanation. You had me hooked. And kudos to @Hollyblue for knowing what it was.

bercrystal, Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  6. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

The one with the black bristles is a Nib wipe or cleaner

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted