Featured please help to identify tea set

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wanderer, Jan 29, 2022.

1. wanderer

wanderer Member

Dear members of the Antique Forum,

Could you, please, help me to find out more about this set?

Any information about its origin, mark translation and possible date of production will help me a lot.

Thank you to all of you in advance. SetSm.jpg Cup.jpg MarkSpot.jpg KettleStemp.jpg CupStemp.jpg SaceKSm.jpg

bercrystal, Born2it, dude and 3 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Japanese - Satsuma based on earthenware and decor.

bercrystal, silvia, dude and 2 others like this.
  3. wanderer

wanderer Member

Hello and thank you for your reply, Bakersgma,

Can it be Meiji period and made for export?

I sifted through all Gotheborg.com Chinese and Japanese makers marks but nothing is matching.

dude and Hi2022 like this.
  4. Bakersgma

I couldn't find the mark either (Gotheborg has never claimed to be an exhaustive list.) But given that it's earthenware and has decoration just like many or the Satsuma examples they and others show, I would think early 20th century into the time between WW1 and WW2.

5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

6. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

bercrystal, wanderer, Born2it and 5 others like this.
  7. wanderer

wanderer Member

Thank you everyone for your replies and marks references :)

One thing puzzles me about this set and its authenticity.

If it was a tea or sake set one would expect to find some discoloration on the inside of the lid. In this case it is not glazed and has an even white color. Can it be fake (unless it was never used)?

I am planning to buy it as a present for a relative and I would feel terrible to give a fake one.
    InsideLid50.jpg

Hi2022 likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Actually I would not expect discoloration on the inside of the lid. That would be a very odd place for the tea to sit long enough to stain the surface. I have tea cups I've used almost every day for years that have no staining because I am careful to clean them after every use. I sincerely doubt you item is "fake." Possible it was not used often and also that the owner was diligent about cleaning it.

9. wanderer

wanderer Member

I have bought it and for a very reasonable price. It would be nice to find out more about this set for the intended recipient of this gift. She is working hard to keep us all safe and healthy.

I checked all resources and now I am seeing a pattern of lines everywhere I look. No luck although to identify this one.

Something similar in painting style on this links:

Flowers type and dots

https://one-jp.com/lot/p504996198

https://one-jp.com/lot/b550685672

https://one-jp.com/lot/p824893143

Shaped lid handle

https://one-jp.com/lot/l1027291229

Were a sparrow and daffodils common satsuma decorations and are they native to Japan?

Can it be an early 20th century European production with a signature made to look like Japanese?

Are there any websites I can try to contact in Japan to find help with translation and history of this set?

Does anyone read Japanese I can tag on this forum?

Thank you for your time and expertise.

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I know nothing about Satuma tea sets... just trying to learn...
    Am I correct in thinking it would have originally had an even number of cups, and the cups would have each had saucers?

11. Francisco G Kempton

Hi Wanderer,

Anything vintage or antique is mainly for decoration. As they usually contain heavy metals like lead and cadium. The style of Satsuma you have is called 'kinkozan' awata satsuma, but in this case lets just call it Awata satsuma, and if yours is Meiji then it is quite fine example. They are earthenware.However the mark on yours strikes me as more vintage, (It puzzles me and I am not sure.... something in how it is marked and the lack of yellow colour) Usually the Awata are signed in Kanji style.

When you do get this maybe get a better picture, I think the tea pot has the shape and characteristics of meiji.

wanderer and bercrystal like this.
  12. Bakersgma

No - even numbers are not to be expected. 4 would be out of the question. 5 would be better. Some kind of superstition. I've not seen saucers with this style of cup, but that doesn't mean they were never made.

bluumz likes this.
  13. Francisco G Kempton

Notice the similarity in the painting.

Flowers - Kinkozan awata Satsuma Kyoto 1860 meïji periode - Japan - Meiji period (1868-1912) 080ca473-6c41-448a-8b8e-63d981392d58.jpg

wanderer likes this.
  14. Francisco G Kempton

wanderer likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

As @Bakersgma says, five is considered auspicious. Even now, many Japanese sets have, say, five cups.

bluumz and Bakersgma like this.
  16. wanderer

wanderer Member

I have this set now. I never saw real satsuma items close up before. I do not know if this one is an authentic Awata but it is beautiful.

Under magnification (10 – 60):

It looks like it might be two layers of transparent glaze.

Transparent colors elements may be under first layer of cracked translucent glaze and the raised one are on the top. It is hard to tell – they are so small.

The raised elements (red and white petals), when magnified, look like hardened foam (enamel???). White “foam” has sometimes added tiny metal disks (on sparrow neck etc). Please see images.

Translucent upper layer glaze has tiny bubbles close to the surface and in grooves and around razed elements.

Glaze cracks run under raised red, white and gold elements and do not affect their surfaces.

All signatures are hand painted. Please see all 4.

SignVariations1.jpg
    SignVariations2.jpg SignVariations3.jpg SignVariations11.jpg KettleSign.jpg CupStemp.jpg Kettle1.jpg Kettle2.jpg Kettle3.jpg KettleBottom.jpg
    It would be great if someone would be able to tell me more about this set.

Thank you all very much.

Born2it likes this.
  17. wanderer

wanderer Member

Sorry, I have more images :)
    SprSide.jpg Lid.jpg Lid2.jpg AirBubbles.jpg DesignDetailes1.jpg DesignMagn2.jpg DesignMagn3.jpg DesignMagn4.jpg DesignMagn5.jpg GoldDotsMagn.jpg

Born2it likes this.
  18. wanderer

wanderer Member

Last set
    Thank you CupView1.jpg EdgeMagnified1.jpg EdgeMagnified2.jpg Hand.jpg CupView3.jpg

Francisco G Kempton likes this.
  19. Born2it

Born2it Well-Known Member

It certainly is beautiful!

wanderer likes this.
  20. Francisco G Kempton

Tha handle is beautifully done, it is a lovely tea pot. If i ever find the backmark i will let you know.

Born2it likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted