Featured Please help with Estimated Age and Place of Origin

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Luis, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Luis

Luis Member

Hello,
    I just bought this large embroidery work (it is about 86 inches x 45 inches), and I am just wondering if it is old and where this might be from. The owner indicated that it might be 19 Century or earlier and Chinese; also indicated to me that the birds are cranes. Do cranes have some special meaning for Chinese or Asian people?
    As you can see from some of the pictures, there is some damage, but still looks gorgeous. It was framed, but I did not like the frame and decided to take it appart. The back is covered with some green color fabric (does not look like it is silk, but it looks certainly old). The embroidery has metalic threads and silk, some of the silk (I think it is silk, but has a leathery looks) seems to be coming off (I guess due to its age).
    I hope you can guide me on this one.
    Thank E 1.1.jpg E 1.13.jpg E 1.14.jpg E 1.15.jpg E 1.16.jpg E 1.17.jpg E 1.18.jpg E 1.19.jpg E 1.20.jpg E 1.21.jpg s

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks BEAUTIFUL, BUT I can't help!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

judy likes this.
  3. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Looks like a Howo bird, usually associated with Japanese porcelain. Also known as a rising phoenix.
    Patd

judy and kyratango like this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Gorgeous.

judy and kyratango like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Absolutely gorgeous, Luis. It is a beautiful design and it is amazing to see how many different embroidery techniques were used. This was made by a very good craftswoman, maybe several women.
    19th century Japanese, possibly Chinese, and a phoenix. My money is on Japan.
    In Japan the phoenix is a heavenly messenger from Amatseru, the Shinto Sun Goddess. It is a symbol of power and prosperity.
    In China the phoenix is a symbol for happiness, prosperity and peace. It also stands for the female principle in cosmic harmony, and for the empress.

Phoenix imagery changed slightly over the centuries. During the time this was made, the phoenix looked a bit like a pheasant with bird of paradise tail feathers.
    The pheasant is native to China and known in Japan through Chinese art and ideas.
    Bird of paradise feathers were imported to China from Indonesia and coastal West Papua since at least the 14th century, possibly much earlier. The image of the phoenix with bird of paradise tail feathers came to Japan from China.

This has similar embroidery, though not nearly as intricate and elegant as yours. It is Japanese:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  6. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:woot:Wow! An antique beauty!
    It needs to be reframed and protected under an anti UV glass to prevent further damages:)

7. Luis

Luis Member

Thanks to you all for your valuable input! :kiss: I agree with Any Jewelry that it is most likely Japanese. I will frame it, but I would need to find a proper frame :pompous:; any ideas on the style that would go with the embroidery? :bookworm: Perhaps I might order a new one. For the time being I am just displaying it on a large table at home. :rolleyes:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

With such an extremely large item, proper framing under protective glass will be very expensive! But would be worthwhile to preserve it. I'm not sure whether it would be ok for the glass to touch the textile or not. If you can, talk with somebody how knows about conservation of textiles.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted