Featured Please help with garnet necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Xristina, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Xristina

Xristina Well-Known Member

Hello,

Any idea about the origin of this necklace ? It is marked 925 on the interior of the claps, the stones tests as garnets.. I know it's crazy, but they look like some people with their hands on the hips? And I can't unsee it... :wacky: :wacky:
    Thank you so much ! :happy:;)

IMG_7960.JPG IMG_7959.JPG IMG_7961.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, Xristina. Can't help with the origin, but I like it.
    I first saw amphoras, but of course now I see your people with their hands on their hips.:hilarious: Why not call it a row of dancers.:)

3. Xristina

Thank you.. I didn't think of amphoras, that's a start..
    Exactly, they are doing something like this.. so if you (maybe) see it too, I'm not that crazy.. :smuggrin::cool:

Tanec_folk_ensemble_Macedonia_1.jpg

KSW, lovewrens, JBo and 3 others like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I only see it because you saw it.:hilarious: But now I see a row of dancers.:D And I love Bulgarian folk dances.:happy:

KSW, kyratango and Xristina like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Wild guess - Finland? One of the Baltics? It looks almost like Scandinavian Modernist, but a little more primitive.

6. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I can go with dancers and it’s pretty modernist ethnic! Like it a lot!

Feels more Eastern to me so can’t see Scandinavia.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

I like it too!
    Leslie

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I see the jars too !

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Xristina

Thank you, everyone ! I was thinking Greece (don't know why), but I think I am being influenced by the "dancers".. and amphoras and jars match for Greece too, isn't it ? ;):happy:

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

It reminds me of one of my favourite necklaces, pic below (have to take another one :shame:). No amphoras.;)

It has a maker's mark and 925, but it has been virtually impossible to find the origin of the maker. I first started out thinking modern Bulgaria, because both the circular motifs and the dangles on the triangular pendants are also seen on Bulgarian jewellery (modern and traditional). I actually bought Bulgarian earrings to wear with it.:)
    Then I saw a listing for a necklace by the same maker, it said Greek.
    Finally I saw a listing which said Turkey. It is marked on just about every component, the way Turkish jewellery is.
    So the 'working title' is: somewhere in the Eastern Mediterranean/former Ottoman region, with a hint of ancient East Med civilizations.:confused::facepalm:

upload_2020-8-20_12-1-24.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Xristina likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ahem. It's amphorae if we're being pedantic. ;)

13. Any Jewelry

I was thinking the same when I wrote it, but I wasn't in a pedantic mood. It comes and goes.;)

KSW and Ownedbybear like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

The dancers in the photo are likely to say horo. (If we're being pedantic :playful:)
    What the necklace says is anyone's guess.:D

komokwa likes this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

"Wear me"

reader and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

That's what they all say.:joyful:

17. Xristina

Your necklace is beautiful, the "working title" works for me.. ;)

We (Romania) actually have the same dance, it is very popular and we call it "hora" .. it's very lively and animated.. I think that's how I made those connections with the dancers in my head... :):kiss:

hora_radaseni-686x450.jpg

KSW, Any Jewelry and Fid like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It seems almost all cultures have these circle or ring dances. I can do a little sardana, from Catalunya. (A symbol of resistence to Franco, at one time!)

Xristina, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

With my dancing background, I can dance horas, horos and oros.;) Several other Eastern European dances as well. Our dance group was specialized in Bulgarian, but I really loved Armenian too.
    My favourite Balkan dance was a Macedonian dance where you dance 'over the beat'. So you step a split second after the beat. Complicated to most people, but being a slow coach by nature, I was usually given the lead in our group.:hilarious:
    I have never danced it, but I've seen it and I know I could join in. It is one of those dances where you 'feel' the dance and the other dancers.
    I have often danced a totally different Spanish traditional though, the Sevillana. And true Flamenco dances in my Flamenco days. I still have the shoes and skirts. Off to reminisce now....:playful:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Xristina likes this.
  20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Is there anything you can’t do? Are you possibly superwoman too in you spare time?
    Lovely necklace :)
    Eyes see funny things sometimes. I saw this tub in the hedge and every time I walk past it I see a face. OH sees a red plastic tub and thinks I'm bonkers!
    0D7E5899-0CFC-4F9B-BAF0-314B9622189F.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted