Please help with symbol on English transferware teapot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by birgittaw, Nov 29, 2015.

1. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Have this for a while, and posted on the old AB, but must have deleted the info. Staffordshire early teapot, with American flag (13 stars) and what I sort of remembered was a phrygian cap. But now I'm not so sure. ,Probably made for 50 year anniversary of 1776, for the American market. Only ever found two plates in different colors with the same motif. Any help appreciated!

Attached Files:

Jen and George and KingofThings like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Did you mean to show the bottom and maybe the whole pot?

3. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Thanks Janet, but not really. What I'm after is the name of the piece to the left of the flag. Looks kinda like a piped meringue on a stick ....

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

or a spindle whorl with wool on it.......!

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

6. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Phrygian cap is correct. It is commonly referred to as a Liberty cap in reference to the American revolution. The liberty cap was often illustrated, and used, on a Liberty pole for the patriot "Rave Ups." The whole ensemble would be a Liberty pole. The hat is often shown with ""Liberty" on the brim.

[​IMG]

(Smurfs wear Phrygian caps too.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  7. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Whoohoo! Thanks Don and the rest of you who responded. I did a good bit of searching for Phrygian cap, and nothing quite looked like this, but of course all images were on French revolutionaries. Liberty cap just popped out, however. Put the whole teapot in context, so much appreciated. You all came through again!

Draft saved Draft deleted