Please Id&date a brass Middle Eastern lot of objects

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Gianluca72, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Hello everyone, I won at an auction house in Rome, this brass lot, it seems to me in Indian, Middle Eastern style. The lot was composed of the elements you see in the picture. I do not know if they are connected to each other in terms of origin and time, and I would like to be able to identify and date them.
    If you wish, I can also send more details by making photos of each individual item.
    I thank you as always for your time that you dedicate to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cxgirl likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

They all look North African, probably Morocco or Tunisia. Fairly recent.

Gianluca72 and Fid like this.
  3. Gianluca72

which period circa will you attribuite, trying only to guess of course ?
    I discover that one of them, on bottom, is marked, i send the related photo, maybe it could help more, thanks a lot for the support

@Ownedbybear @i need help @Any Jewelry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with obb on the items with the glass inserts, my guess is also North African for those.
    The one with the coloured enamel could be Kashmir, NW India. Could we see more of that one, also the candlestick and the bird?

Gianluca72 likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. Gianluca72

Sure, i'll send them in few minutes :) thanks

7. Gianluca72

i need help likes this.
  8. Gianluca72

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I am pretty sure that the peacock candlestick is Indian. I used to see a lot of them when I lived near "little India" in Iselin NJ.
    greg

i need help likes this.
  10. i need help

11. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

OP’s items are of the souvenir type often sold to tourists, as opposed to items that would be used by the people in the countries of origin. I agree with “recent.” They aren’t the types of items that antiques collectors would accumulate. U.S. citizens sometimes use such items to help decorate their homes and businesses.

i need help likes this.
  12. Gianluca72

Thanks to you all for your personal points of view.
    About this mark
    [​IMG]
    Do you know it's meaning ?
    Thanks

13. springfld.arsenal

My guess is that it is a mark used by one particular maker. If you pick any Of the hundreds of Middle-Eastern cities that have numerous small brass and copper-working shops, the mark could be from any shop in any Arabic-speaking place. I say Arabic because the mark looks a bit like Islamic calligraphy. It may be a calligraphic form of the shop-owner’s initial(s). Someone who reads Arabic and knows something about Islamic calligraphy may be able to interpret the symbol. When you get done, if you are lucky, you may discover that the shop is owned by Ali. Or Mohammad. Or Mustapha.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Gianluca72 likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

It has a Renaissance look as well as a slightly Asian look.
    Both countries had (or have) a thriving replica and fakes industry, which is a problem when trying to attribute lower end items bought at an Italian auction.
    The design could even have originated in Hungary (not a serious attribution;)) for all we know.
    It looks like the peacock/phoenix candlestick is missing the actual candlecup.
    Therein lies my problem with threads like these. I get tagged, but I know next to nothing of the souvenir industry, whether in Southern Europe, North Africa, or Asia. Sometimes there is a link with the genuine items, but not always.
    It is a floral scroll, probably a maker's mark. It will be impossible to attribute it.
    In North Africa and other possible places of origin there are often entire streets or neighbourhoods specialized in making brass objects of varying quality. Every workshop can have its own mark.

Gian, these are all pretty objects for around the house. Which is absolutely fine, they are not pretending to be anything else. Maker's marks, symbolism, or even origin, are not really of any importance with objects like these imo.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  15. Gianluca72

AJ
    thanks a lot for your explanation and time :)

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. springfld.arsenal

17. Gianluca72

i need help likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

The symbol is not an Arabic letter.:)

i need help likes this.
  19. springfld.arsenal

Here’s a calligraphic name “Ahmad” for example:

AC0C6522-D70D-4E56-9A20-DBC4F1DC8533.jpeg

Show the symbol to someone who reads Arabic and see if they think it could be a calligraphic name.

i need help likes this.
  20. i need help