Please ID help for this carved wooden gilded sculpture / mask

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Gianluca72, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Hello friends,

I offer to your attention this carved wooden gilded sculpture /mask .
    I got it about a year ago at an Italian auction house.
    However, the subject seems to me to be Middle Eastern.
    It was very dusty, I didn't clean it so as not to alter it, but with a swiffer I removed the dust and now it looks better.
    It seems quite old to me, both from the gilding and from the conditions, especially those of the back, but to understand what it is, I refer you to the comments.
    Thank you for your time.

Measurements:
    Length 22 cm
    Width 11.5 cm
    Thickness: about 4 cm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's in the general "style" of a traditional African mask from Benin, however the eyes are usually shown open, and there isn't that protrusion under the chin. The two dots at the bridge of the nose should be elongated lines, as well.

Although the nose and general shape of the mask suggests Benin, it could be a decorator item, or someone's interpretation of a Benin mask. But I don't see any indication of it being "Middle Eastern."

Gianluca72 and komokwa like this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I agree that it is probably a decorator piece, in an African style. But I think it is based on Baule masks. They frequently have the small projection/beard on the chin, the downcast eyes, and scarification indicated above the nose.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. Gianluca72

Thanks a lot :)

Why there is that green on the back? I can remove it or better not?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a low end tourist / decorator object that was painted gold.....you can do anything you like to it !!:):)

6. Gianluca72

Ok :) but what's that green? It's not painted I've noticed, and an other question please. Could you let me learn, regarding this case, how can you recognize an ancient wooden item from a touristic item?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I think someone wanted it to look like brass (often erroneously called bronze in an African context), and added the green to make it look like verdigris.

Bronwen and Gianluca72 like this.
  8. Gianluca72

Thanks @Any Jewelry.

Is it possible from Ivory Coast? Côte d'Ivoire

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is where the Baule live.:)

Gianluca72 likes this.
  10. komokwa

Well, the short version is that it takes a lot of study, to understand what tribes carved in what style , for use in their past cultural ceremonies .
    Tribal folks did not walk around fully dressed up in all manner of traditional ceremonial costumes , on a daily basis , just like the farmer put on his best suit to go to church....but not to work in the field !

So, specially trained carvers , metal smiths and weavers were commissioned to provide the high status members of a tribe with the outfits they required for their most important rituals & ceremonies.

Knowing what to look for , from an authentic work, made for use, even it it was never used, takes a detailed study of items we now know to be in this catagory.

As for wooden items...knowing about how wood ages, and what paints and metals and grasses where used long ago, and how they were made is a good starter to seeing the difference between a mask made for sale , and one made for tribal use.

Any Jewelry and 2manybooks like this.
  11. komokwa

let me just add that the back of a mask is as important as the front of a mask....if indeed it was made to wear..

Any Jewelry and 2manybooks like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted