Please ID this old bronze sculpture

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Gianluca72, Sep 23, 2020.

1. Gianluca72

Gianluca72 Well-Known Member

Hello friends,

I would need your help to get some information about this sculpture.
    Approximate dating, country of origin, material, representation of the subject, etc ...
    Through your feedback I will then be able to create a valid description.
    Live, the material would look like bronze, and from some details, it seems to me that over time it has been painted twice, but I'm not sure.
    Purchased in Rome (Italy) at an auction house as a "19th century bronze sculpture" ... stop! no other details, but anyway the auctioneer's words are worth nothing to me; only your opinions are valid :)
    I didn't clean it, and I preferred to leave the statue "dirty" with its natural aging, for a better dating.
    I am sending some photos, sorry, maybe they are too many.

The dimensions are: height 23 cm, width 15 cm, weight 1,200 kg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your time

Gianluca

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

I might be wrong gianluca ( and hope I am)

But the bronze colour looks a bit painted on

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Maybe it's solid gold underneath and you miscalculated your zeros???? That size (US) of 9", I don't think could possibly weigh a whole ton (US) PLUS--more than 2,000 lbs!! Even at 120kg, it would weigh 264 lbs US!!!!! Unless I have my math completely messed up!!!!!:wacky::wacky::wacky: Which of course, is entirely possible too!!!:wacky::wacky::wacky:

charlie cheswick likes this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Many European countries use a decimal comma instead of a decimal point. Pretty sure in the US it would be 1.2 kg.

5. Aquitaine

PHEW!!!!! THANK YOU, SO MUCH @wiscbirddog I just knew it had to be wrong, but obviously had no clue about the decimal point difference.....DUNCE CAP for me!!!!:sorry::sorry::hungover::hungover::hungover::banghead::banghead::banghead:

wiscbirddog likes this.
  6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I really wish that when we clicked on a person's avatar we could at least see what country they are from. Age & gender not so important but I've been known to get confused over 'terms' used in various parts of the world that I'm not familiar with.

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

You're right, that would be helpful, at times!!

8. Gianluca72

From Rome, Italy, i wrote it in the first message

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Gianluca72

???? It's 1 kg and 200 grams :smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

10. Gianluca72

Yes I was supposing the same, i wrote it, thanks. :):cool:

Any Jewelry and charlie cheswick like this.
  11. Gianluca72

Ahahah I'm sorry yes we use comma many times. :pompous::cat::D

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  12. Gianluca72

Approximate dating, country of origin, material, representation of the subject, etc ..

I know that it's difficult guys :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I blindly rely on you :jimlad::cool::)

13. charlie cheswick

I would just have concerns about it actually being a bronze as you stated

I wouldn't have thought anyone would paint a real bronze with bronze coloured paint to make it look bronze

Others will know more

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. charlie cheswick

This looks to be the true colour of the metal underneath

IMG-20200923-174509 (1).jpg

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Can't help with the ID of the figure, but the bottom looks filled... and that could be lead, which would account for a good portion of the weight. The detail Charlie shows does suggest pot metal.

charlie cheswick likes this.
  16. Gianluca72

Thanks my friend, but in reality the opposite happens: by slightly cleaning that area, the "white" goes away and the brown reappears.
    I realize that the photos are not as exhaustive as live.

17. Gianluca72

Live, and slightly cleaning it in some areas, I noticed that: the "black" was painted; the "white" is the old state, the dirt; the "green" is oxidation; light brown was painted; dark brown was the original color. At least live, it seems to me that it is. Basically it's like they painted a lighter brown, maybe they didn't like the statue too dark for their tastes, but then over time, someone else painted that light brown black, creating a triple color effect: dark brown - light brown - black and then, after a long time, the relative oxidation and loss of color was created on them.

18. Gianluca72

Maybe @Any Jewelry will be able to give us another valid help and facilitate our search about the approximate dating, country of origin, material, representation of the subject, etc ..:happy::happy::happy: :D:D:D :cool::cool::cool:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@Gianluca72 , I am wondering what the subject is , what is he holding in his hand ? The bucket looks like coal is in it ? I first thought a "Fire watchman" with one of the wooden rattles they carried for sounding an alarm but then realized the bucket had coal, or something like it , in it .

20. Gianluca72

Yes, it looks like a bucket of coal.
    In his left hand he holds the handle of a sword, while in the right a shorter object, I don't understand well, perhaps an overturned knife, held by the handle that is hidden in his hand.