Please refresh my memory on these primative chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by jakes vintage, Feb 5, 2019.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

I know theres a name for this type of furniture but for the life of me cant remember?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jakes vintage

Is it American pilgrim I'm thinking of?

3. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Chip-carving, plus a few turned uprights. Similar to this one, which seller describes as "18th.C Spanish Childs Chip Carved Walnut Chair". I'm not sure about the age of the one the dealer was selling, nor do I think yours is period, due to the overall appearance, stain used to simulate age, plus the fact that a lot of primitive carved work like this was produced in the late 19th/early 20th century in Spain and central/south america, some of which included pieces of old wood to enhance the look. Has a nice look, regardless.
    https://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/273671/18thc-spanish-childs-chip-carved-walnut-chair/#
    [​IMG]

4. jakes vintage

That's it, I have no idea why my old brain was going to American pilgrim lol

5. jakes vintage

It looks as though it's been repaired several time, do you think the stained newer wood is just replacements? Some of the wood looks original but I know you said antique wood was most likely used. I ask because some of the beetle holes and deteriorating coincide with were the wood meets like it was bored by beetles or rotted while together instead of separately and then cut to fit.

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

For some reason those turned pieces, while nice looking, seem out of place to me. (I'm definitely not an expert, though.) That occurred to me while comparing to the example that @Jeff Drum posted. That example doesn't have them.

i need help likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with Jeff - Single board seat supports a 19th century date.

i need help likes this.
  8. jakes vintage

Thank you all for the info it was very helpful and appreciated!

Draft saved Draft deleted