Featured Pocket change

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Roadkillxp, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Roadkillxp

Roadkillxp Well-Known Member

So, back in 2018, a Walmart self checkout gave me this as my change, two V nickles!

S1960032.JPG S1960033.JPG S1960034.JPG S1960035.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

STUPID Walmart!! Nice!!!

3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

All I ever get are Canadian dimes, and since I don’t live in Canada that’s a bummer :eek:

4. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I do live in Canada and went to a yard sale in NY state last year. Bought 5 two dollar coins (toonies) for 25 cents each. Probably the biggest profit margin I made all year.

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Nice find. I always check the reject tray in the CoinStar machine at the grocery store but have never found anything except newer coinage

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I got a 1941 quarter from the bank, of all places..

7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Nice! The only V nickel that I own I found while metal detecting near an old mill pond. Also found an Indian head penny from the 1890s there in about the same spot. Someone's pocket change fell out over one hundred years ago...I pictured a bench there or maybe just a log.

You should always check the coinstar machines return slot. They reject pre 64 quarters and dimes as well as most old coinage from everywhere else. Some people don't realize or don't care that there's a return slot. I once found five silver dimes at one time.

Also good to ask if your bank teller has any half dollars in their drawer. If they do ask to peek at them and pull out the pre 1970 coins.

8. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

With what some of the cash for gold stores/pawn shops around my area offer for coin collections it is not surprising to see some stuff go back into circulation. Many of them have no use for non silver or gold coins and offer face on the cents and nickels.

Today at the bank I was in the line behind a coin roll hunter. She was ordering two boxes of halves, totally $1000 face in order to search them for silver. I follow a few forums where people do this and the return and hassle hardly appears to be worth the effort. Perhaps for someone retired with lots of free time.

Ghopper1924, Bronwen and Sandra like this.
  9. J Dagger

Yeh I started the hobby of CRH and by the time I was through $700 or so I was done lol. I was searching for errors and my mild OCD forced me to inspect every coin. If you just "edge hunt" you can process them much, much quicker. Silver coins have a distinct looking edge. I've tried to get my mother and aunt to start since they have tons of time but they have no interest. Every once in a while those people seem to hit a great box and get lots of silver. Many, many boxes of nothing or maybe one happen before that though. I think I pulled one or two out the $700 or so.

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Growing up in NH, we often got Canadian coins. Even here on the Cape we get some. There was no problem using them up in NH or even here on occasion.
    However, both my kids who moved away had problems. My daughter moved to Georgia and my son moved to California. They each had the same experience with trying to use a Canadian penny or nickel. They were told they were foreign coins. Both of them said, no, they're good. LOL.
    I imagine all the states that border Canada have been able to complete transactions with a few Canadian coins now and again.

11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    A few years ago I gave the cashier a Susan B Anthony dollar. The girl looked at it for a couple of minutes and said "You can not use foreign coins to buy stuff." I said "What" and the manager came over and looked at the coin and told the girl that it is legal tender. The girl keep looking at it and reached into her pocket and replaced the SBA with a dollar. She said she can not wait to show her mother.:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

12. komokwa

when the CDN goes above the USD...u take em with glee..

13. Roadkillxp

Roadkillxp Well-Known Member

Some time ago, I payed $15 in change consisting of half dollars and Susan B's. The cashier had to google the image to see if I had made the dollar coins.

Bronwen, Aquitaine and Sandra like this.
  14. komokwa

why don't more folks use the half dollars......us or canada....i've never understood that..

Ghopper1924 and Bronwen like this.
  15. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I don't know why the US does not use more Halves, apart from the regular issue Kennedy Half and the Bicentennial the others were silver or commemoratives.
    As for Dollar coins like the Ike, the SBA and the Sacs there is an alternative, the $1 Bill.
    If they got rid of the $1 bill then the coins would be used.
    Here the £1 coin replaced the £1 note and the 50 Pence coin replaced the 10 Shilling note so people had to use them.

Since then we have had the £2 coin which has proved to be very popular.

They regularly change the reverse design on 50 Pences and £2 coins to keep them interesting.

I often get British banknotes of all denominations when I buy collections of coins and notes.
    The tatty ones I just change for face value and keep the good ones for my collection.

16. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Canada dispensed the use of pennies a few years ago and nickels next year. We just round up or down to the closest number.
    One and two dollar bills are replaced by coins, if they ever replace five dollar bills with a coin, I am going to set myself up in business making canvas or kevlar replacement pocket liners for men's pants. I carry a sturdy coin purse within my handbag and let me tell you, it gets heavy, if cashiers aren't too busy, I usually ask if they would like to swap 10 two dollar coins for a twenty dollar bill.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  17. komokwa

TORONTO -- Although the penny was forced into retirement in 2013, it appears the majority of Canadians aren’t quite ready to say goodbye to the nickel just yet.

According to the Vancouver-based polling company Research Co., the majority of Canadians, or 55 per cent, disagreed the nickel should be taken out of circulation.

As for the future of the nickel, there haven’t been any recent indications from the federal government that it will go the way of the penny any time soon. Three years ago, an internal federal analysis showed the government had looked into its feasibility, but no plans regarding its future were announced.

CTV,,,

Published Tuesday, December 10, 2019 10:55AM EST

Ghopper1924 and Sandra like this.
  18. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Your information is more up to date than mine, komokwa. I took mine from the usually reliable source of The Desjardins Group, that in 2017 predicted that the nickel would be phased out in 5 years.

19. komokwa

they may still be right..........but not just yet !!
    Oh....Desjardin.....didn't they just get hacked ?? LOL..

20. J Dagger

I paid for gas with halves the other day. Older lady at the register so she knew what they were. I have 1k of them sitting around and was going to pay my rent with them as a joke next month.

AJefferson and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted