Pocket watch any info would help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Levi guy, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Levi guy

Levi guy Member

2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Can you get the back off to show the movement, Levi? Obviously, you want to be careful as to not damage anything.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. sabre123

I'm not a watch guy, but others will want to see the movement.
    You will need to inspect your watch to see the proper methods to get to the movement. Do a little research if it is not obvious.

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  4. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Not a watch expert either, but I'd guess the back either unscrews, or has a small lip to enable you to pry it off. If it doesn't do either of those easily - definitely take the time to figure out how it's supposed to come off - don't force it :)

sabre123 likes this.
  5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Is the name on the dial 'Illinois' ?. Is there something on the back?
    It appears to date from about 1910-1920, it is probably a 7 to 15 jewel lever escapement, the case is cupro-nickel and it has one unusual feature, it is a 'sidewinder' inasmuch as the winding stem is set by the three on the dial instead of the more normal twelve.
    This is common for hunters and half hunters but yours is open faced and shows no sign of a missing front cover.

The back probably has a small nick or indentation at the edge to insert a knife blade to pop the back off. Caution is advised, use a blunt knife, and sliding the blade around the back works better than brute force.

6. Levi guy

Levi guy Member

7. sabre123

Looks like afantiques is on the money, in terms of the year (not surprised!). Based on the serial number on the movement, 1912 is the estimated year of production.

You can plug the serial into the company's database to see more info on the watch (I used 2499339 but that last number may be off..regardless, 0-9 are same production year):
    https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/guide/company/illinois/serial-number-lookup

Levi guy likes this.
  8. Levi guy

Levi guy Member

Thank you so much sorry it took me so long the back was a screw off back and it was a little stuck

sabre123 likes this.
  9. sabre123

Sure thing. @afantiques can probably provide more info now that the movement is visible.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't see any screw threads...???

11. Levi guy

Levi guy Member

Look on inside of cap

12. komokwa

can't see it....but you're saying those threads lined up with the two overly large screws ..? would that be it?

13. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

He's saying it's a screwback case. The back turns off.

14. komokwa

ok...the back turns off......so what holds the threads on the cap....to the case ?

15. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I can now see that it is a better than average 15 jewel movement, note that the jewels are set in screwed seats and it has swan neck regulation for really fine timing. I cannot read the writing in the case back, or on the movement if any; it is always a good idea to write out anything like that as well as showing it.

16. Levi guy

Levi guy Member

Draft saved Draft deleted