Featured Poor old thing no one wanted.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

This poor old thing turned up at the auction for a second week having been passed in
    with a previous guide of $100-$150 and this week with a guide of $50-$100. No one seemed to want it and my lonely absentee bid of $35 won the day. Figured there must be something wrong with it like a massive crack or chip somewhere but there's nothing apart from some fine crazing underneath and a little on the lip. It was listed as “Early 20th Century Twin Handled Japanese Export Vase” and seems to be or the Chinese fakers are at it again. At 56cm (22”) high and 3.9Kg (8.6lbs) she is a big old girl and with an “in your face” floral decoration she probably wont win décor item of the year which might explain the lack of interest. So what do you think. Export vase or fake??

Cheers
    Stephen

PICT0001s.jpg PICT0002s.jpg PICT0003s.jpg PICT0004s.jpg PICT0005s.jpg PICT0007s.jpg PICT0008s.jpg PICT0009s.jpg PICT0011s.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Export vase. They only fake things that are sure to sell by the dozens, Qianlong and Ming vases, etc.
    Congratulations, a good price.

KingofThings and judy like this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a couple like this and I love them. I think you did well.

KingofThings, judy and toomanytocount like this.
  4. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

Remember these well. They are Japanese earthenware vases, hand painted, most about 10 inches high, with air brush background, heavy enamel hand painted floral motifs, and handles, with some gilding accents.
    A USA company exported them and sold them in their retail home decor catalogs during early 20th century, how long they were made and sold, not sure. I would say all pre 1941.
    You can tell the age by the fine crazing and the slight discoloration of the painted colors, as well as the wear to the gold finish. This size is special, you did well. I like it too.
    I saw one of these advertised in one of my Japanese ceramic books, can't remember the name of the export company, something like Baker or Baxter, the date was 1910.

KingofThings and judy like this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

My mistake.
    Thought this was about Mansons....
    :wideyed::eek::woot::wacky::rolleyes:;)

Bev aka thelmasstuff and dgbjwc like this.
  6. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

So did Mansons................

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

AAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........*
    :)

8. toomanytocount

too cute......;):D

KingofThings likes this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I agree with toomanytocount. Certainly not fake. The ranges of the auction house were a bit optimistic. The only issues are that Japanese earthenware and those colors are out of fashion right now. It's a great time to buy. It hard to imagine that at some point these hand painted vases won't make a comeback. Congratulations!
    Don

toomanytocount and KingofThings like this.
  10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My grandmother, who loved Japanese export pottery/porcelain, would have loved it. That probably explains why it went cheap.... Its turn will come eventually; these go in cycles.

toomanytocount and KingofThings like this.
  12. toomanytocount

I agree with that too. The same fate for the good Chinese porcelain hand painted vases, made 50s-60s-70s, I still own some. They have the Communist government mark, with factory numbers on them, as every business was state owned and run back then. Maybe people will start having some nostalgia for the old Asian export goods.

KingofThings likes this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I already do for the old Pier One stuff, from back before they went to straight home goods that you can get for better prices in HomeGoods. When I was a kid they sold cheap imports from all over the world, some of which were pretty darned cool. A lot of it was Japanese and Taiwanese back then, but I'll bet they had the Chinese vases too.

KingofThings likes this.
  14. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Indeed, in China these days those heavy sturdy wares of the Mao era do attract collectors. Like Cultural Revolution stuff, the prices are no longer cheap.

Many people feel the state-owned factories produced good quality ceramics because they weren't focused on profit, unlike today's producers.

15. toomanytocount

YAAA! Those were the good old days.
    I had no money when I had my 1st apartment, and Pier1 and their cheap imports straight from the Indonesia and India shops and small studios, were my furniture for a while, rattan shelves, baskets, trays, futon bedding, glass, dishes, mats etc.
    Just browsing was fun, I even remember the smell, sort of dusty patchouli.

I'm so disapointed now with Pier1, with the lack of original and found nowhere else stuff. That is retail these days. Same, same, same.

KingofThings likes this.
  16. toomanytocount

I have seen that too, old stuff with Mao's picture, the posters with the loud propaganda.

My first Chinese porcelain vase was bought at an outdoor flea market about 25 years ago, it had been used as a paint brush holder. Still splattered, but I did not blink when they asked for $5.00.

Got it home, soaked it in soapy water, and the paint fell off, to reveal a beautiful white porcelain vase, hand painted, in a medium size of about 9 inches high. I was so naive then, I took it to work, for a Chinese doctor to translate the poem on the back of it, and she looked at me like I was silly. Never realised then, that Chinese script calligraphy is an art in doing and translating. Very complex. :shame:

KingofThings likes this.
  17. Bev aka thelmasstuff

The chrysanthemum vase came from my ex-husband's great aunt's house. It had been painted solid black. It took me a long time to carefully remove the black paint and some of it seeped into the cracks, but I loved it. The scenery one was at a church yard sale and cost $35. IMG_5160.jpg IMG_5161.jpg

18. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Love it Bev. Interesting to note - they both have a gold "thingy" on one side of the neck.
    Stephen
    P.S. please put me in you will for those candlestick holders. :hilarious:

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted