Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain
>
Porcelain – Caen – CAEN – M. Le François – Le François à Caen – LELIÈVRE – MAISON E. LELIÈVRE
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Brian Warshaw, post: 3661203, member: 16674"]Porcelain – Caen – CAEN – M. Le François – Le François à Caen – LELIÈVRE – MAISON E. LELIÈVRE</p><p><br /></p><p>I have exhausted my limited research abilities and need to communicate with somebody who has a knowledge of porcelain manufacture in Caen (Normandie). Do we have such a member in the group?</p><p><br /></p><p>I found this porcelain tray in a charity shop. The quality seemed good and the design impressive so and I handed over my €10.</p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]309440[/ATTACH] </p><p><br /></p><p>The stamens in the flows are raised, and the butterfly throws a shadow ahead of it. The background of the tray is two blue waves with white in the centre dividing them.</p><p><br /></p><p>There is no damage other than extensive rubbing to the top rim gilding due to normal use.</p><p><br /></p><p>The back bears a red Mark: - LELIÈVRE / PORCELAINES / CAEN</p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]309441[/ATTACH] </p><p><br /></p><p>There is also an incised symbol or signature, like '@' or a 'd'</p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]309442[/ATTACH] </p><p><br /></p><p><br /></p><p>Size: 40 cm x 33 cm x 1 cm height</p><p>The material is hard porcelain.</p><p><br /></p><p>I was initially hopeful that it was made at the Caen factory that operated between 1797 and 1812, although I had some concerns because my CAEN was upper case, and the literature (I never saw an original mark) referred to it being lower case, and the appearance of the name LELIÈVRE.</p><p><br /></p><p>My concerns were confirmed but both Sotheby’s and Phillips, both of whom said it was below their price range. If it had been the real McCoy I would have expected €1,000 to €1,500. Phillips suggested I send it to a specific auction house in Paris, which valued it at €60 to €80, and suggested I send it to my local town auctioneer: the local company saw no merit in it.</p><p><br /></p><p>I looked at LELIÈVRE, and came up with MAISON E. LELIÈVRE, it was functioning in 1870, but I haven’t established when it started business.</p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]309443[/ATTACH] </p><p><br /></p><p>Then I returned to my 15th edition of William Chaffer’s ‘Marks & Monograms on European and Oriental Pottery & Porcelain, and found something I had overlooked because I wanted it to be the 1797 factory.</p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]309447[/ATTACH] </p><p><br /></p><p>[ATTACH=full]309448[/ATTACH] </p><p><br /></p><p>And that’s where I am today. I can find no references to M. Le François, and my previous emails to the local Caen auctioneer, which has previously auctioned items and collections of Caen porcelain; and the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen.</p><p><br /></p><p>Hence this appeal for specialist knowledge. Is there anybody out there???</p><p><br /></p><p>Thank you all.[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Brian Warshaw, post: 3661203, member: 16674"]Porcelain – Caen – CAEN – M. Le François – Le François à Caen – LELIÈVRE – MAISON E. LELIÈVRE I have exhausted my limited research abilities and need to communicate with somebody who has a knowledge of porcelain manufacture in Caen (Normandie). Do we have such a member in the group? I found this porcelain tray in a charity shop. The quality seemed good and the design impressive so and I handed over my €10. [ATTACH=full]309440[/ATTACH] The stamens in the flows are raised, and the butterfly throws a shadow ahead of it. The background of the tray is two blue waves with white in the centre dividing them. There is no damage other than extensive rubbing to the top rim gilding due to normal use. The back bears a red Mark: - LELIÈVRE / PORCELAINES / CAEN [ATTACH=full]309441[/ATTACH] There is also an incised symbol or signature, like '@' or a 'd' [ATTACH=full]309442[/ATTACH] Size: 40 cm x 33 cm x 1 cm height The material is hard porcelain. I was initially hopeful that it was made at the Caen factory that operated between 1797 and 1812, although I had some concerns because my CAEN was upper case, and the literature (I never saw an original mark) referred to it being lower case, and the appearance of the name LELIÈVRE. My concerns were confirmed but both Sotheby’s and Phillips, both of whom said it was below their price range. If it had been the real McCoy I would have expected €1,000 to €1,500. Phillips suggested I send it to a specific auction house in Paris, which valued it at €60 to €80, and suggested I send it to my local town auctioneer: the local company saw no merit in it. I looked at LELIÈVRE, and came up with MAISON E. LELIÈVRE, it was functioning in 1870, but I haven’t established when it started business. [ATTACH=full]309443[/ATTACH] Then I returned to my 15th edition of William Chaffer’s ‘Marks & Monograms on European and Oriental Pottery & Porcelain, and found something I had overlooked because I wanted it to be the 1797 factory. [ATTACH=full]309447[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]309448[/ATTACH] And that’s where I am today. I can find no references to M. Le François, and my previous emails to the local Caen auctioneer, which has previously auctioned items and collections of Caen porcelain; and the Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen. Hence this appeal for specialist knowledge. Is there anybody out there??? Thank you all.[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain
>
Porcelain – Caen – CAEN – M. Le François – Le François à Caen – LELIÈVRE – MAISON E. LELIÈVRE
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...